Author Topic: Bore War, help find grandfather's service record  (Read 4241 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bore War, help find grandfather's service record
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 08:44 BST (UK) »
Leon,

Have you obtained a copy of his birth certificate - if only to check that Norman CAMPBELL was his full name.  You could download a copy from ScotlandsPeople at:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
It is a pay-per-view site - but the rates are reasonable (cheaper than employing a researcher!).

The Scottish censuses from 1871 to 1901 are also online on ScotlandsPeople so you could follow up Mack's suggestion there i.e. to check out the 1901 Scotland census in case Norman was still in Scotland.

JAP

Offline leon59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 09:00 BST (UK) »
This picture was taken in 1953 during a centennial celebration. Grand father had loaned this man his kilts to ware in a parade. The picture I have of my grandfather in the kilts is to large to scan.
Angus: Bruce, Gray, Roy, McRobbie or Robbie, Spink, Doig,Perry,Petrie, Henderson
Ayrshire: Campbell, Taylor, McKay, Stewart, Weir, Thompson, Ferguson, Cornelius. Brodie, Morrison
Inverness: Campbell, McGillivray, McRae,

Offline leon59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 09:14 BST (UK) »
JAP, I don't have his birth record but I do have all his Mason papers from the Cambuslang Royal Arch NO 114, passenger records, naturalization papers and marriage cert. All have Norman Campbell on them. Thanks for asking, it may not hurt to check on his birth record.
Angus: Bruce, Gray, Roy, McRobbie or Robbie, Spink, Doig,Perry,Petrie, Henderson
Ayrshire: Campbell, Taylor, McKay, Stewart, Weir, Thompson, Ferguson, Cornelius. Brodie, Morrison

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Leon,

I guess that - as Mack suggested - it would be great if you could find him in the 1901 census.

Good luck,

JAP

Offline leon59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 09:23 BST (UK) »
 I have the 1901 census Norman was living in Cambuslang on Dunlap St. Thanks

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 09:33 BST (UK) »
he was a mason,bloody marvelous,good old norman,check the masons leon,this is their address,
cambuslang royal arch 114
11/13 tabernacle lane
cambuslang
scotland
they must have a record of him,worth a try,them masons usually keep good records,so they take after your family motto.
NE OBLIVISCARIS
MACK

military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline leon59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 09:42 BST (UK) »
I had just posted a letter to Ian Paterson the secretary at the Royal Arch Lodge about information on Norman. I had gotten his address from the Arbroath St. Thomas 40 secretary. My g-grandfather on my grandmother's side was a Mason there and Grant has been helping me with him.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi again Leon,

Hope you find Masonic records for Norman!

If he was in the 1901 census - and not then a soldier - I guess that narrows down the time frame for service in the Boer War.  The Boer War commenced 11 Oct 1899, the 1901 census was midnight on 31 March/1 April 1901, and the Boer War ended on 11 May 1902.  Not that this really helps as he can't be found in National Archives.

Have you looked at the Research Guides on the National Archives site at:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Here is an interesting extract (the emphasis is mine) from the Research Guide at:
Click Here
"While the National Archives holds the Soldiers' Effects Ledgers for 1862-1880/1881 in WO 25/3475-3501 , the National Army Museum holds all of the records, which run from April 1901 to March 1960. The records were originally scheduled for destruction but offered to the National Army Museum in the 1990s. They accepted them and have them on site for the period 1901-1914. They are very useful for Boer War ancestry. There are indexes by name of soldier (not necessary to know the regiment) and the registers themselves record the following information: Full name, Regimental number and rank, date and place of death, place of birth, date of enlistment, trade on enlistment, next of kin as stated by regiment OR by will, name of legatee, to whom authorised, and amount authorised."

Though, on re-reading, perhaps this refers only to soldiers who died.

However, it might well be worth looking at the other Research Guides.

JAP

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 10:20 BST (UK) »
hiya jap,those are for soldiers who died in service,but a good source for anyone who lost someone in that period,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.