Author Topic: Amy Johnson  (Read 611 times)

Offline tedball44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amy Johnson
« on: Saturday 31 December 16 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi All!
I am looking for any Information for the Family of My GG Grandmother.  She was Mary Ann Johnson, born in 1826, possibly at Helpringham, Lincs.  Her mothers name by Mary Ann's death certificate in Australia in 1865 was AMY, ( Maiden name unknown) Father stated on her Death Cert was John Johnson (Occ: Mechanic)  Mary Ann married Charles Pell on the 22 Oct 1850 at St Ann,s, Syston Lincolnshire.   Strangely enough her father is named on the Marriage cert as Joseph Johnson? (Occ: Willower) not John, as on the Death Cert, there could be several reasons for this I suppose. miss heard or miss spelled on either Cert or maybe her Father John was dead and Joseph was a stand in???

I do have a marriage for an Amy (I think Wignell) to a John Johnson on the 17/8/1824 at Spalding.
I also have a death of a Amy Johnson on the 2/2/1835 at Sutton March, she is listed as being 37 years old, meaning that her birth date was 1799.  I can find no birth for an AMY in that year! A Check of the 1841 and 51 census fails to show here family up or here in 1841.  Mary Ann and Charles left for Australia in the November of 1850, so they would not show on Census in 1851.  Charles Father, Mother and Family show up in Syston on the 1851 census (ie: William & Mary)  The biggest problem I have, I cannot tie all this together to give me a high possibility of who was Mary Ann's true parents! are they as stated on her Australian Death cert?? or  not>

Would appreciate if anyone out there can assist me in this detective work!

Regards  :D

Ted Ball
Shepparton
ASustralia

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Amy Johnson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 January 17 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat

The information regarding her fathers name should be more reliable on her marriage certificate than her death certificate as she would have given the information herself. 
Who were the witnesses to the wedding.
What was her abode on the wedding certificate
Where does the information that she may have been born in Helpringham come from.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 January 17 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Ted :) Welcome to RootsChat!

The 1824 marriage was a Joseph JOHNSON to Amy WINGELL - the register is here (3rd on the left)

http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=500651&iid=450776
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline tedball44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 January 17 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff, ;)

Thanks for the reply, hopefully it may clear a lot of questions around her Parents of my GG Grandmother.   I could not make Amy's maiden name out! can you? On Mary Ann's Wedding in Syston in 1850,  her father was listed as Joseph which agrees with this transcript, however on Mary Ann's Death Certificate in Australia in 1865 her father is stated as John, I am now starting to believe that the wrong name was given at Death, probably from her Father in Law acting on memory as he was also a Witness in 1850 and migrated to Aussie late in 1851 ans well at witness to the Death of Mary Ann.  How do I get a copy of this marriage Transcript?

Regards

Ted Ball
Australia

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 17 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I could not make Amy's maiden name out! can you?

How do I get a copy of this marriage Transcript?

It looks more like Hingett/Hingitt to me  :-\

To get a copy of the parish register image select 'Buy image' at the top of the register copy page that Geoff has linked to.
Details here http://www.lincstothepast.com/buy-image/

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 January 17 12:09 GMT (UK) »
FreeREG has WINGELL

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 17 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry  :-[

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 17 12:41 GMT (UK) »
You are right Geoff - that leaf on the end of lincstothepast overstamp completely threw me as it crossed through the 'W' and l.  Looking at W in William in previous entry it is the same as the first letter.
Wingell it is  :)

Rosie