Author Topic: Thomas Roberts and his mystery parents  (Read 1031 times)

Offline EmmaPettit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Roberts and his mystery parents
« on: Tuesday 03 January 17 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am currently trying to track down the parents of Thomas Roberts born in England around 1600.

He is often said to have been apprenticed fishmonger in London.

From p.302 of "Colonial Era History of Dover, New Hampshire" John Scales, author:
“Thomas Roberts was born in England about 1600, according to deposition.
Rev. Dr. Everett S. Stackpole imparts the information he had learned on "excellent authority" that Thomas Roberts was apprenticed to a fishmonger of London, as "son of John Roberts, of Woolaston, Co. Worcester 29 April 1622, and probably came over at once, as an apprentice to Edward Hilton.

There is a Wollaston, Stourbridge and a Woolaston, Gloucestershire. So am unsure where he was born.

I believe he went to New England around 1623 and was there without doubt by 1627 when he was married to Rebecca Hilton in Dover, New Hampshire.

I have come across other Trees that have him with no actual legitimate sources as who his parent are. They all stem from someone else’s tree. 

So I am hoping someone might be able to help me find his parents.

I do know that his parents were NOT John Roberts and Cassandra Apreece ( ap Rhese, many spelling variations of her maiden name) the only child born to this John Roberts was a daughter, Jane.

I do not believe his parents to be Sir Thomas Roberts and Frances James

Their second son was Thomas Roberts, baptised at Cranbrook, Kent, October II 1590.

He made his Will 23 November 1644 and it was proved by Walter Roberts 2 December 1647.

In the Cranbrook Church Register there is an entry for a burial of a Thomas Roberts on May 3. 1645, which we may reasonably conclude refers to this man. Seeing as Sir Thomas died in 1627.

I may be wrong. I don’t know. But that is why I am reaching out to anyone here who is willing to help me with this matter.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Kind Regards,

Emma
Pettit -Cambridgeshire UK - QLD Australia
Bird - Huntingdonshire UK - QLD Australia
Rickert - Germany-Australia
Ford - QLD Australia
Hussey - New Hampshire USA
Ellis - New Hampshire USA - QLD Australia
Bickford, Hall, Lilley, Stearn, Savidge