Author Topic: Birth of Daniel McAllister on Carnmoon Island  (Read 1263 times)

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth of Daniel McAllister on Carnmoon Island
« on: Thursday 05 January 17 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I'm trying to find confirmation of a birth of Daniel McAllister.  Family lore has him born on Carnmoon Island on 27 May 1880.  His parents according to certificate of Daniel's 1911 marriage in Scotland were James McAllister and Margaret McCAIG?(her name difficult to read).

Any assistance appreciated.

NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Daniel McAllister on Carnmoon Island
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 17 08:11 GMT (UK) »
If the above parents are correct then Eliza Jane (born 1878) is likely a sibling of Daniel's-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FG63-M72

Daniel's birth registration here- 24 May 1880, mother McKaig:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1880/02876/2053821.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 January 17 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to both of you.  It looks like a bit of a lottery as to the spelling of McCAIG.  That's three versions I've seen so far (understandable when literacy wasn't as widespread as today).

I take it also that Carnmoon isn't in fact an island? And what is the date of the birth-it looks like 24th of May to me, but the family thinks it was 27th.
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 January 17 08:54 GMT (UK) »

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 January 17 09:03 GMT (UK) »

I take it also that Carnmoon isn't in fact an island? And what is the date of the birth-it looks like 24th of May to me, but the family thinks it was 27th.

There are 2 places named Carnmoon and 1 named Islands of Carnmoon in Co. Antrim. All are townlands (an Irish administrative land division). None is an island or on an island. They are all in the north of the county, between Ballymoney and the Giant’s Causeway. You can see them on the maps attached to Griffiths Valuation.

Day of birth looks like 24th to me. There are several possible explanations as to why the family may have come to believe it to have been the 27th. In the 1800s in Ireland people didn’t celebrate birthdays and often didn’t know exactly when they were born. Alternatively the father may have made a mistake with the date, registering the birth on the wrong day (I know someone alive today whose birthday in the 1930s was registered 6 weeks late and on the wrong day, according to his mother).
Elwyn

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 January 17 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarifiction about the Island (maybe a swampy area years ago?).  I'll go with 24th as well for the birth.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find a marriage for Daniel's parents anywhere in the general area.  There's a marriage in 1880 (which seems a bit late in any case) for a Margaret Jane McKAIG in Ballymoney, but I can't find a matching entry for James McALLISTER. 

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 January 17 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hmm interesting at the time of Eliza Jane's birth 12th Jan 1878 in Lisbalnacragh ? father James is listed as a Milkman away in United States
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1878/02980/2091663.pdf

edited to add mother listed as Margaret McKayne informant Elizabeth McKayne

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 January 17 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hmm interesting at the time of Eliza Jane's birth 12th Jan 1878 in Lisbalnacragh ? father James is listed as a Milkman away in United States
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1878/02980/2091663.pdf

Think that might be Lisbellanagroagh (2 townlands of this name in Ballintoy Parish- More & Beg)?