Author Topic: John Dring 1722  (Read 1244 times)

Offline BernardOC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Dring 1722
« on: Thursday 05 January 17 20:59 GMT (UK) »
John Dring christened July 1722 at St Peter, Chatteris, Cambs. Parents were John and Ann (nee Kisby). He married Ann Smith on 7 March at St Andrew the Great, Cambridge. He is shown as a Widower at (age 22) and she a Spinster (age 20).
I have been unable to find anything about his first marriage. I thought I had a link for a marriage to Mary Ribright  November 1741. But just now I find on FreReg that this John Dring declares his Parish as St Olave, Southwark which was then in Surrey.
He must have married very young to be a Widower at 22.
I would appreciate any help with locating John's first marriage details
I'm researching: O'Connor, Connor, Rea, Smith, Skilton

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Dring 1722
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 17 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernard

It isn't impossible that this is the correct first marriage - remember that the parish recorded at marriage was the one they were resident in at that time, which may be entirely different from the one they were born in. 

Quite how you  go about proving it is (or isn't) the correct man is entirely another matter however  :(  Presumably you have looked for a death for a Mary Dring?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 17 23:57 GMT (UK) »
The wife of John Dring was buried 22 Jan 1743 at St Andrew the Great, Cambridge, but unfortunately her name isn't visible (2nd entry from bottom). 

Immediately above the word January on that entry is the burial of John son of John Dring, buried January 12th 1743, although unfortunately I'm struggling to find a baptism  :-\

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L96D-9SY4?i=342&cat=779700
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 17 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jomot

F M P have a transcript of the Burial also, ~  22 JAN 1742 ~ name given as ANN Dring wife of John plus same year for JOHN son of John

Wonder if they have seen the register with the missing corner intact or is it a guess. ???

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 17 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire

I always struggle with old registers where you have to scroll through previous pages to find the year, although the BT says 1742 to 1743 so I'd taken it as 1743 in 'new money' but I'm happy to stand corrected  ;D

Not sure how I missed the F M P entries but they are from Cambridgeshire FHS so hopefully are taken from the Parish Registers.   Unfortunately we don't know if that burial was John Jr's wife or his mother, Ann Kisby  :-\

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 17 01:41 GMT (UK) »
I wasn't sure of the year either ???

~ just thought I'd add the records ~ have to admit,  it never crossed my mind it could be his mother ::)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 January 17 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Possibly his parents may have died earlier than we thought

JOHN DRING ~ 6 Jun 1727  Burial place: Chatteris, Cambridge,

ANN DRING ~ 23 Jul 1727 Burial place : Chatteris, Cambridge wid(ow)

No ages given :(

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 January 17 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Well if Ann's burial on 22 Jan 1742/3 was his wife rather than his mother then he wasted no time in marrying Ann Smith - it's on the same page as 7th March after Banns  :o

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 January 17 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Not sure the transcribers know either. Boyds marriage index have John marrying Ann Smith in 1742  :-\

This would make more sense - both son and wife passing away January 1743, soon after childbirth.

Still missing a first marriage though :o