Author Topic: What is this occupation, please?  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What is this occupation, please?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 06 January 17 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Just been reading up on  Leicester hosiery manufacturing - some interesting artcles online.

I thought Cone last night but I'm wondering if it's just  Hosier winder - badly written.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 06 January 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Late to this thread, but I'm sure it is Glove Winder.

Leicester was a centre for the manufacture of both hosiery and gloves. The extract below, though much earlier than the census, shows the usage of winder in the context of glove-making ...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=YQ4qAAAAYAAJ
Second Report of the Commissioners into the Employment of Children: Trades and Manufactures (1843), p. 12
Hosiery and Gloves – Nottingham and Leicester
67. In the Leicester district Children begin to work at very early ages ... Mr William Cummings, manufacturer of woollen and Lisle thread gloves: “Winders begin about nine; in Leicester it is usual for Children to begin to work at the frame from eleven to fourteen years of age ...”

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 06 January 17 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about the ending, BB. I've been checking and the end seems to match the r flourish in other words - the es  don't have as much flourish,

Cf  the e in wife with the ending

Tricky one.

(Added - looking through the pages, they seem to be mainly engaged in shoe/stocking making, With stockings, it was  frameworker, winder and finisher )
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 06 January 17 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Just been reading up on  Leicester hosiery manufacturing - some interesting artcles online.

I thought Cone last night but I'm wondering if it's just  Hosier winder - badly written.
Yes, looks like hose winder. 

I can see where they get glove from, apart from the first letter, which I can't see as a G at all. Plenty of hose winders in the censuses.

Mike

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 06 January 17 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Was about to say, Mike, that if you flick through the pages, there are examples where just 'winder' was written and the census coder has subsequently written 'hose' in front.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 06 January 17 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Was about to say, Mike, that if you flick through the pages, there are examples where just 'winder' was written and the census coder has subsequently written 'hose' in front.

Good.  And I think that's a pretty clear H at the beginning, despite the tangle of the last few letters.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 06 January 17 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at the full pages I'm now leaning towards it being "Glove". The letters in "..love" look consistent with others on the page, the dark down stroke matches the same in the "G" for "Green".

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 06 January 17 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I can see where you get glove from, apart from the first letter, which I can't see as a G at all.

The top part of the first letter is faded, but I can see the curve of the G to the left of the downstroke. I can't see a letter H that looks like that.

This extract below is from the previous page -- similar G, different H.

I'm still going with Glove. Looks like we'll have to agree to differ on this one  :)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 06 January 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I can see where you get glove from, apart from the first letter, which I can't see as a G at all.

The top part of the first letter is faded, but I can see the curve of the G to the left of the downstroke. I can't see a letter H that looks like that.

This extract below is from the previous page -- similar G, different H.

I'm still going with Glove. Looks like we'll have to agree to differ on this one  :)

Happy to agree to differ, although hose winder is an occupation and glove winder isn't