Author Topic: No. 1 Dispersal Unit Georgetown, Renfrewshire.  (Read 811 times)

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
No. 1 Dispersal Unit Georgetown, Renfrewshire.
« on: Friday 06 January 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »
My Great-Grand Uncle Neil McDonald was demobilised from his First World War military service at the "No 1 Dispersal Unit Georgetown (Paisley)". He was a native of Springburn and a Royal Engineer attached to the 52nd Lowland Division.

I would like to know exactly where this dispersal centre was situated.

I am assuming it was located at Georgetown, Renfrewshire, in the vicinity of Dargavel Burn, West of Glasgow Airport?

I know that there was a munitions factory there in those days and I'm guessing the dispersal centre was set up in those buildings?

It's hard to imagine hundreds of soldiers there today as it is now mostly forested land surrounded by empty fields.

Any maps or photos of the site would be appreciated.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: No. 1 Dispersal Unit Georgetown, Renfrewshire.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 January 17 15:41 GMT (UK) »
According to a post on another well known forum, that is exactly where it was.  It was set up in Munitions Factory No 1 of National filling Factory 4 and was used from 31 Dec 1918.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia