Author Topic: Samuel Gideon Baggs - Newfoundland.  (Read 1572 times)

Offline rye470

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Samuel Gideon Baggs - Newfoundland.
« on: Friday 06 January 17 16:10 GMT (UK) »
  Good Morning,

I wonder if anyone can help me with the above individual.  Samuel Gideon Baggs was born, we think, in September 1913, and I am trying to locate a copy of his birth certificate for his son.  How much easier can it be?  I have the month and year, but we have a problem with the location.  On all census records/official documents his birthplace varies between United States and St. John's, Newfoundland.  I have found sibling births in Mass., but can't find Samuels birth in either place.  Can anyone point me in the right direction.

My cousin, who's parents split up when he was a baby, needs his fathers birth cert. to apply for British Citizenship after having lived in Scotland with his Scottish mum, for 66 years. 

Many Thanks for any help,

Christine.
Hamill - Co. Armagh/Renfrewshire.
Alexander  - Co.Tyrone/Lanarkshire.
McCulloch/McCullough - Co.Down/Lanarkshire.
Fyfe -Stirling/Clackmannanshire.
Binnie - Clackmannanshire.
Stewart - Perthshire.
McEwan - Perthshire.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Gideon Baggs - Newfoundland.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 January 17 16:48 GMT (UK) »
The only one that seems to be coming up is Samuel Gideon Baggs born 1891 Broad cove Newfoundland. Parents - William Baggs - Mother:   Leah Moser

Have you got the parents names ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 January 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
This one buried Mount Pleasant Protestant Cemetery Field Of Honour St. John's, Newfoundland seems may be the one you mean - passed away 15 July 1997 aged 84 years

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Cemetery/baggs-samuel-mt-pleas-prot-sjc-5372.shtml

http://ngb.chebucto.org/NFREG/WWII/ww2-arty-B-surname.shtml

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline rye470

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 17 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Many Thanks for having a look. 

The Samuel Gideon Baggs born 1891 may well be an Uncle, but I haven't managed that far yet.  The Samuel who died 1997 is my cousins father.  He was born to Joseph K. Baggs and Julia Muller in September of 1913. I had hoped his gravestone would have had more information but as it's a soldiers grave, not much there.  The month and date are enough to find him in any records, I just don't know which country to ask.  Canada or the USA :-\.  Samuel's father had a problem with his place of birth too.  It changed on every document as well. ???

Christine.
Stewart - Perthshire.
McEwan - Perthshire.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 17 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure he was born as Baggs?  The Canadian census for 1921 (St John's, Newfoundland) shows him as stepson, rather than son, of Joseph K Baggs - who at this point is married to a Susannah.

Image available on Familysearch.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline rye470

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 17 18:53 GMT (UK) »

That one threw me for a few minutes.  Long enough to tell my cousin that he wasn't really a Baggs, and then I read it again.  The last 4 siblings on the 1921 are all said to be stepchildren, but Susannah is only 25, and Samuel, the youngest is 8.  I found birth entries for Joseph Jr. and Ethel May (Minnie) showing their parents were Joseph K and Julia Mulley, married in Revere, Mass. in 1902.  Julia died due to 'premature childbirth' when Samuel was 5 in 1918.  By 1921 Joseph has remarried and he and Susannah have a 20 month old daughter, Elizabeth.  I had to back track quickly and tell my cousin that he had been using the correct surname for 67 years. :-[
Stewart - Perthshire.
McEwan - Perthshire.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 January 17 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Where did Julia die? And Joseph remarry?
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 January 17 20:33 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage on FamilySearth for Joseph K Baggs marrying a Susannah Penney Feb. 15 1919
Joseph was 38 and Susannah was 22

There is also a marriage for a Arthur Miller 35 marrying a Susannah Penney age 19  13 April 1916

On FamilySearch again a 1945 Census record for Newfoundland with this family indicating Samuel was 32 and single born in USA. Looks like Samuel was born 8 Sept 1913

I checked birth records for states of Massachusetts, Maine and New Hampshire but no birth for Samuel.

If the 1921 census  indicates Samuel was a stepson did Joseph adopt him because all the other children with the exception of the youngest  indicate they were stepchildren also. Quite puzzling

Will need to go backwards and check further.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 January 17 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Food for thought.....

If Susannah had filled in the 1921 census form, she might have listed all Joseph's children by Julia as her stepsons and stepdaughters. And Elizabeth as her daughter, aged 20 months but with a very wrong birth year written.

There is an application on familysearch for a Newfoundland birth certificate for Mary Janet b. 1903 in Chelsea which was denied b/c of her birth place. Joseph indicates he brought her to Nfld when she was 7, so about 1910, and indicates she had lived there since. This would lead to the suggestion that the family remained in Nfld and that Samuel was born there. So I might start there to try and find a birth record.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.