Author Topic: Mystery Great Grandad and Army Records?  (Read 1094 times)

Offline ozwendy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mystery Great Grandad and Army Records?
« on: Tuesday 26 July 05 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have a great grandfather, Charles James Wood, who is a bit allusive. He married my greatgrandmother, Susannah Gardner in 1906(I know a lot about her, my dad knew her well) they had a child (1906), he went to WWI, came back and left his family to become an itinerant or hobo.

I don't know when he was born, but they were married in Wigan, Lancs and my grandmother was born in Hindley were her mother's family lived. I am told he came from the area. I am about to send away for the marriage certificate, but what I do know about him is that he was in the army during the Boar War and WWI. It seems the family called him 'The old general', although I am sure they were referring to his attitude and/or age, as I am sure he wasn't highly ranked (they were working class). There is also uncomfirmed info. that he died in Bury, Lancs, possibly in the late thirties or forties, though we don't have a date.

So, with that background I was wondering how do you find out about people who were in the army, particuarly Lancashire Regiments? I know how to get records of people who died in action, but what about those who returned?

Any suggestions most appreciated :)

Wendy
Faricy -  Lancs.
Faricy, Gardner, Jones, Aldred, Battersby, Calland, Webb, Jones,Evans - Hindley, Lancs
Coleman, Price, Taylor, Ryan, Joyce, Barrett, Astin - Oldham/Failsworth, Lancs
Gardner, Evans, Jones, Williams,Sambrook, Davies,Wardman,Ellis  - Montgomeryshire/Worthern,Salop
Price, Thomas, Jones - Chester/Flint
Jones,Webb,Griffiths,Bagshaw,Bowen,Richards, - Dawley/Wellington,Salop
Faricy - Waterford/Cork - Ireland
Faricy, Robles - Austalia

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Great Grandad and Army Records?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 08:45 BST (UK) »
His army records will be held at Kew.  If you can't get there yourself there are professional researchers who will do it for you.  In my experience it's well worth doing this as the records can be a mine of information.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline hughar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile