Author Topic: East John Street vs Bluevale St  (Read 3137 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
East John Street vs Bluevale St
« on: Sunday 08 January 17 03:40 GMT (UK) »
I have always understood that in Glasgow (Camlachie area I think)  - what was "East John St" became "Bluevale St" - ?? in the first few decades of 1900's.  Have a family who lived at 80 East John St... through the 1880's... 90's etc... - and then are listed as living in "Bluevale" St.

However I have just found a birth entry for a person of another family - birth 1858 - "35 Blue Vale St. High Church Glasgow".  Is this a different street altogether? Not "East John St" which I always thought kept that name till well into the 1900's - then becoming Bluevale St.? 
"Confused" I am !!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: East John Street vs Bluevale St
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 17 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Can you give the full address of each with Parish name on any docs. i.e. BMD's/Census please as "I think" in your message won't tell us for certain.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 17 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosinish,

I really shouldn't try to wrap my brain around this sort of thing with the horrible hot weather we are having - my brain just goes to mush!  And to be able to name "The Parish"?? Well the various entries over the years change method of recording so much!! Hardly any of them have "Parish".??

Okay - at one stage I found a website (http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/info-streetschanged1.htm l) which listed " Glasgow Streets with changed names" .. i.e. East John St., became Bluevale St. 

So I just presumed that there had never been a "Bluevale St"... but having found a birth in 1858 - listed as "35 Bluevale St, District of High Church, Burgh of Glasgow", I was a bit confused.

I have multiple entries for another family from about 1866, at 80 East John St, District of High Church, Burgh of Glasgow.  In records for the family through till  1884, 80 East John St is  variously listed as Parish of St. John, Glasgow; District of Camlachie Glasgow; then 1891 they ?move to 28 East John St. Parish of St. Thomas, district of Glasgow, Parliamentary div of Camlachie; 1894 28 East John St. District of Bridgeton Glasgow; 1901 census - East John St. District of St. Thomas, Camlachie Glasgow; - right up till 1911 census listed as District of Camlachie, Glasgow.  In 1920 listed at 36 East John St., District of Camlachie Glasgow.

Finally the family is listed in 1933 as living at 161Bluevale St. Camlachie Glasgow; - then 141 Bluevale St.,  Camlachie before moving to Millerston street in 1936.

So.... There is a simple explanation I hadn't thought out... i.e. - there is a Bluevale St., in 1866 - and this street continues to exist?  There is also an East John Street, from the 1860's - right up till after 1920 - where my main family lived.  But they had moved from 28 East John to 36 East John. 

Then contrary to my belief that their East John St. residential address only changed street name... they have in fact moved to another residence/street at 161 Bluevale St..... ?? 
Does any of this make sense? or am I just confusing myself more...??
Might just go and get cool drink - before my brain gives up completely.
Cheers - and thanks for your patience.

McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 17 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Maggbill it looks as though the two streets where one from Wilkie St you had Bluevale running north as to speak to Duke St and east John St running south to the Gallowgate the other end of Wilkie St you then had east Miller St running to Duke St and east Nelson St running to the Gallowgate (these becoming Millerston St) this taken from a 1896 map.
Henderson
Crawford

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 17 12:07 GMT (UK) »
As garngad has said the streets were basically a continuation of one another (see http://maps.nls.uk/view/117743918) for an 1867 map.

East John Street probably lost out in the naming stakes because at one point there were 5 different John Streets across the City and in  these cases the streets were amalgamated with existing streets and the residences renumbered.

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 17 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hope this simple mapout helps I'm not sure when the changes where made though.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Glasgow's rapid expansion resulted in the three civil parishes of the City, the Barony & the Gorbals,  becoming many, hence the confusion.

Skoosh.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 January 17 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Wow - Thanks so much everyone,

It is amazing how whilst I have been having my overnight sleep - you have all been contributing to this query!  Rootschatters to the fore again!

Your explanations and maps have certainly clarified it for me...  I will take my time and get it all absorbed - brain wise!! 

Wouldn't it be amazing to have a time machine and go back to the late 1800's/early 1900's - I would spend my time wandering around the Camlachie/Bridgeton/Calton area as it was then.  I have memories of some of it - Millerston Street in  particular around the late 50's early 60's - but what an area it must have been more than one hundred years ago!  So much history, in such a small area!  People who were born, lived and died within a few streets radius!

So - again - thanks for your research, information and most of all your interest!  Cheers!

Offline Elizabeth Matthew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 February 22 10:34 GMT (UK) »
80 East John Street may have been a Maternity Hospital in Glasgow back in 1881. One of my ancestors was born there.