Author Topic: Information on death records  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Information on death records
« on: Tuesday 26 July 05 08:47 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me who supplied the information that appeared on the parish death records such as the age of the deceased and details of their parents.  Did it come from the informant of the death who might be a relative or neighbour of the deceased or was it the practice for birth certificates to be kept in the house?

Jim Murray

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Information on death records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 09:17 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me who supplied the information that appeared on the parish death records such as the age of the deceased and details of their parents.  Did it come from the informant of the death who might be a relative or neighbour of the deceased or was it the practice for birth certificates to be kept in the house?

Jim Murray

Jim

From 1855 onwards after the introduction of statutory (civil) registration of BMDs, the informant was preferred to be, firstly, a relative present at the death or a relative who had at very least visited the deceased during his or her last illness; if no relative available, then someone living in the same house in which the death occurred; or, failing that, any other person having knowledge of the particulars such as a neighbour, trustee, "intimate friend", - intimate in the meaning of close.

A girl as young as 12, or a boy down the age of 14 was acceptable as informant.  In exeptional circumstances it was open to the registrar to take information from a younger child.

(Note: A Scottish statutory death record shows the names of both parents, including the maiden name of the mother.)

There was no requirement for the informant to prove the age of the deceased, but, obviously some informants might have the linked documentation.

Accuracy of the info provided by the informant ranges from usually very high where the informant is a parent or sibling of the deceased, though at least reasonable if the informant was the spouse, but can start to get iffy once children/nephews/nieces are involved, through to questionable if the informant is the matron or governor of an institution such as a hospital or poorhouse, although, as far as the latter are concerned, it all depended of the info with which they had been provided, and whoever provided that !

It's far from unusual for a son to get the maiden name of a granny wrong, especially if there was no elderly relative left to ask.

Registering a death was and is a highly stressful experience, with a high chance of errors creeping in.

In the pre-1855 Scottish parish records, where death info exists, there is rarely any note on the identity of the informant, and only very occasionally info on the parents of the deceased where the deceased wasn't a child.

ibi

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 11:24 BST (UK) »
ibi

Thank you for an extremely informative and comprehensive reply.

May I press you on the question of whether people kept birth certificates at home.  I have an example of where the informant is a neighbour and yet the details of the deceased's parents are given including the mother's maiden name - which is proving difficult to corroborate!

What would be your considered view in this case?

Jim Murray

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 13:05 BST (UK) »
ibi

Thank you for an extremely informative and comprehensive reply.

May I press you on the question of whether people kept birth certificates at home.  I have an example of where the informant is a neighbour and yet the details of the deceased's parents are given including the mother's maiden name - which is proving difficult to corroborate!

What would be your considered view in this case?

Jim Murray

Jim

As anyone registering a birth from 1855 onwards was given a copy of the birth registration entry ("certificate") then, yes, it should have been at home, somewhere, but many people, I'd guess, weren't that brilliant in terms of document storage, so that it went missing; or was sent to an insurance company, and not returned, etc., etc.

Pre 1855 would have been even worse, as there would only be a document if there had been a formal church baptism, with the same caveats about document storage.

In the specific case that you mention, maybe the neighbour had access to the papers of the deceased; maybe there was a family member somewhere who was able to supply the required info, and the neighbour was seen as the more relevant informant by the registrar.  Or maybe the deceased, during their illness, ensured that the neighbour had the required info.

I find it difficult to believe that the neighbour in this case would have invented information, apart from anything else as any sensible registrar would have made at least some enquiry as to the source of the neighbour's info, so it's likely to be correct, but I'd always want some corroboration.

I'm afraid that it's one of those scenarios where if you can think up a reasonable sounding possibility then that's bound to have happened at some point !!

ibi

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 16:43 BST (UK) »
Ibi,

Thank you again: this is all grist to the mill.

Yours
Jim Murray

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 16:47 BST (UK) »
Ibi,

Thank you again: this is all grist to the mill.

Yours
Jim Murray

Hi Jim

Guid tae hear !!

ibi