Author Topic: Help Needed with Decoding/Translating of WW2 RAF Service Record Please  (Read 5535 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed with Decoding/Translating of WW2 RAF Service Record Please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ross,

Many thanks for that, very much appreciated.

I had wondered whether or not he had perhaps been an instructor of some description or not.

His rise in the ranks during the UK period is faster than normal for a ground based instructor with pilot qualification so the change of progression path was one that met approval with the "Airships".

What is meant by "Airships" in this context?

My thanks to you again, things are rather clearer to me now, much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, derogatory service slang for Air Officers in the Air Ministry.

Derived from the "Lordships" of the Admiralty meaning the Sea Lords.

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ross,

Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Great story, great man. However the (Hawker) Typhoon was a propeller driven aircraft not a Jet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Typhoon

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Making up your own story BarryD - never said Hawker.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/typhoon.cfm

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 January 17 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, great story and looks like you also have had a good time getting the codes deciphered as l did a few years ago when l obtained my Uncles records.

Four weeks wait is brilliant too as it can be up to a year.

Interestingly you may not know that 550 squadron was formed in part from `C` Flight of 100 squadron when at Waltham (Grimsby).

I think 550 was then at North Killinghome?

Sure Ross will know the definitive answer.

Good luck researching!

Steve.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Chance- Jarrow/Hebburn/South Shields 1800-Present Day

HONOUR THE BRAVE BOMBER BOYS-NEVER FORGET

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 January 17 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your reply, very much appreciated.

Interestingly you may not know that 550 squadron was formed in part from `C` Flight of 100 squadron when at Waltham (Grimsby).

I think 550 was then at North Killinghome?

I didn't know about the 100 squadron at Waltham/Grimsby connection so thanks for that.

550 Squadron from what I've found were indeed at North Killingholme in South Yorkshire.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 October 18 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am resurrecting this thread as after further research, more information regarding my grandfathers RAF service has come to light. Using the Ops books (Operations Record Books) at the National Archives & also the transcriptions & other info at the 550 Squadron Association website I have uncovered the following:

My grandfather John Phillips flew 7 missions with 550 Squadron as a Flight Engineer (and presumably was also Co Pilot), these being:

10th/11th April 1945 - City of Plauen in Germany.

14th/15th April 1945 - Potsdam

18th April 1945 - German fortified island of Heligoland

22nd April 1945 - Bremen

25th April 1945 - Wachenfeld (The Berchtesgaden area)

29th April 1945 - Manna Mission - Food being dropped to the people of German occupied Holland.

2nd May 1945 - Manna Mission - Food being dropped to the people of German occupied Holland.

There are no further missions listed for him before or after these dates. He is shown to be a member of F/L Sweeney's crew.

Entry for F/L Sweeney's crew on the 550 Squadron Association's website here: http://www.550squadronassociation.org.uk/documents/public/Lancasters-Crews/FlLtJASweeney/index.php

There is a photo of the crew taken in March 1945 here: http://www.550squadronassociation.org.uk/documents/public/Lancasters-Crews/FlLtJASweeney/Images/FlLtSweeneyCrew.jpg

My grandfather is definitely the man in the middle of the group.

Link to another thread with a photo of the same crew with my grandfather third from right, this photo is one in my possession, and the thread was started in an effort to find out the names of my grandfathers crew mates. It is most definitely the same crew. This photo I now believe to have been taken at RAF North Killingholme in 1945: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=664850.0

They are recorded on the Association website as having been posted from 1662 CU, this is 1662 HCU who were based at RAF Blyton in Lincolnshire. On my grandfathers service record he is shown as being at 71 Base from 29th Dec 1944. I have ascertained that RAF Blyton was transferred to 71 Base on 5th Nov 1944 & remained with 71 Base until 15th Nov 1945. This I believe suggests that he was with 1662 CU/HCU for about 4 months prior to being posted to 550 Squadron.

I am however, having trouble in finding any operational records for 1662 CU/HCU, records such as Operational Record Books (if such exist!) or War Diaries or similar etc. I have searched the National Archives catalogue to no avail. Could someone point me in the right direction to these records please?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 October 18 23:51 GMT (UK) »
David,

The HCU ORBs are notoriously light on detail, to the point where the only times trainees are listed is when they were killed in accidents.

You may want to check this to see how far it goes: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7160912

I've also found HCU ORBs as part of Station ORBs. RAF Lindholme Station ORB: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7161774

DTD