Author Topic: Jones/Bell, Corlust, Ballymore  (Read 922 times)

Offline Sheilings2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones/Bell, Corlust, Ballymore
« on: Monday 09 January 17 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Searching for any connections to this family. They surrendered a life lease on farm to emigrate to Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jones/Bell, Corlust, Ballymore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 09:22 GMT (UK) »
You gave much more detail in an earlier post and I'm copying it here so that others don't waste time asking for dates-
Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for your reply. All the information that I have is the names of the family that left Armagh in 1824. I have located them on a passenger list but the trail ends there at the moment. Their names were : Robert Jones, wife Mary Bell Jones and 9 of their 11 children. The 2 eldest sons came earlier to Canada and settled in Prince Edward County, Ontario. The family have lots of information from that point on, but it would be very interesting to learn more about the Irish background. The only other things I recall was that Robert gave up a life lease on his farm in order to emigrate and the family had at some earlier point in history had their property confiscated for refusing to give up the old religion. All this is anectdotal of course and subject to the variables of human memory. I think that the family of Mary Bell would have been from the Scottish plantation, but have no idea when. I have looked under the gaelic spelling of the name Jones also and have been searching by trying to correlate community farm groupings where both names appear. It may be totally futile but guess I enjoy the process of the hunt. I would be interested in seeing your information if you think it could be a connection.  I do have a photograph of Robert & Mary. Cheers
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jones/Bell, Corlust, Ballymore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 18:38 GMT (UK) »
The Freeholders List only show a William Jones in Corlust, and Robert is not named in the life lease. There is a John Jones in Ballymore, but Robert is not named there either.