Author Topic: hurley/ doocey familly  (Read 11321 times)

Offline Michee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hurley/ doocey familly
« Reply #90 on: Friday 07 January 22 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maurice Hurley is my grandfather's uncle.

Maurice's father was Bartholomew Hurley. Their mother was Mary Ducey they were from Waterford Ireland. They were farm labourers.

Maurice's brother was John Hurley.

John Hurley was born in 1879 he was a coal miner (he died 1932 Dennistoun Glasgow record in Scotlands people )

John Hurley (1879) married Rose Anne Mcauley. Hamilton. (marriage record is on Scotlands people)

Rose Anne Mcauley was born 1881 (died 1940) They married in 1902 in and had 11 children.

one of those children is my grandfather John Hurley.

I have a list of my grandfather's siblings, one also was named Bartholomew he was born in 1908. If anyone wants the names dates of birth of the siblings i can write them up.

They lived in Hamilton Scotland, and my grandfather also lived there till he passed. Many of the family still live there now.

Maurice Hurley did go to the USA. Where He was known as Maurice Hurley.

I will ask my uncle if he knows anything more about his uncle Maurice.

The story my grandfather tells is they were wanted men and had to flee Ireland due to the English oppression and starvation of the Irish people. My grandfather was always greatful they did this and they took refuge in Scotland.

They were staunch Catholics and republicans.

I notice you all have a different spelling of Ducey, my uncle spelled his great grandmothers name this way, Ducey.

I Haven't read all the thread, will start from the beginning now.

Edit :Well I've read the thread, Mary the wife of Bartholomew, from Waterford, her name was spelt Ducey.

Perhaps this threads info has different families mixed up? Probably best to Stick to the original spellings.

BTW Its almost impossible to trace Catholic family records before 1864 in Ireland, because they were stored in local parish records, and many were destroyed by the British, this was done to destroy records of the true heirs and owners of land and property.

physically going to Ireland and asking in the locality if there are any records left is really the only way.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Friday 07 January 22 12:52 GMT (UK) »
The story my grandfather tells is they were wanted men and had to flee Ireland due to the English oppression and starvation of the Irish people. My grandfather was always greatful they did this and they took refuge in Scotland.
They were staunch Catholics and republicans.
I notice you all have a different spelling of Ducey, my uncle spelled his great grandmothers name this way, Ducey.
Edit :Well I've read the thread, Mary the wife of Bartholomew, from Waterford, her name was spelt Ducey.
Perhaps this threads info has different families mixed up? Probably best to Stick to the original spellings.
BTW Its almost impossible to trace Catholic family records before 1864 in Ireland, because they were stored in local parish records, and many were destroyed by the British, this was done to destroy records of the true heirs and owners of land and property.
physically going to Ireland and asking in the locality if there are any records left is really the only way.

A few points need corrected. Firstly, spelling was very fluid and variations are common and perfectly acceptable, especially when quoting records.
It certainly is possible to trace Catholic families in Ireland before 1864- really just depend on what records survive but I don't think you can blame 'the British' for the loss of early records (except for pre-1901 census). There are R.C. parish registers pre-1864 which survive and many are online which bring up the next point-
It's probably never been easier to trace Irish ancestors than it is now and this doesn't mean having to travel to Ireland. More and more records have come online in the last few years and the majority are free- 1901/1911 census (and surviving bits of earlier ones, vital records, R.C. parish registers- scans of the original records not just a transcription- and many more).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Michee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 07 January 22 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Looool and yet here we are.. 11 pages of ppl Struggling to find our family records, pre 1864 for a Catholic (Catholic being the issue) family, who were fighting the British, and trying to clutch at straws like wrong spellings and attaching the wrong families. knowledge of local history is important.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Friday 07 January 22 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Looool and yet here we are.. 11 pages of ppl Struggling to find our family records, pre 1864 for a Catholic (Catholic being the issue) family, who were fighting the British, and trying to clutch at straws like wrong spellings and attaching the wrong families. knowledge of local history is important.
You seem to have a very one-sided view of history and local records. Catholics were not the only group of people treated unfairly in the past. All denominations have problems finding church records. Even though the Church of Ireland was the Established/State church their records have probably suffered the greatest losses due to the burning of records during the Irish Civil War.

There are many threads here on Rootschat alone with far more than 11 pages of people trying to find records of their family in Ireland (and not just Ireland, other countries and periods pose similar difficulties). Some are successful and some are not. Just depends on how much information is available and how it can be found.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Friday 07 January 22 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I agree with aghadowey's remarks replies #91 & #93.
 Btw, aghadowey and Sinann, another contributor to this thread, have long experience of Irish family research, not just their own families, but also many others, of various religions and backgrounds around Ireland.

Some reasons why this thread is long are:
 It wasn't straightforward from the start - 2 surnames + uncertainty whether records were of 1 family or 2.
 Long lists of children (13 in one) with links to sources for each one.
 Frequent assessments, reassessments & comparisons of info, questions posed & answered/not answered.
Brigidmac and Sinann, 2 of the main contributors to the thread, are RootsChat volunteers, not connected to the family being researched and so were starting from base.
If it was simple, people wouldn't come to RootsChat for help.

Expanding on some points by aghadowwey:
Irish records:
I recommend Irish Genealogy Toolkit as a guide and overview.
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com
The introduction begins:
  "Irish genealogy gained a reputation long ago for being a frustrating one-way-street to disappointment
   and headache.
   Thankfully, calming potions and analgesics are no longer essential equipment for the amateur
   genealogist  because family history in Ireland has entered a golden era.
   More and more records - many of them free - are now available online and offline."
Info about church records is under Genealogy tab .

Catholic registers at National Library of Ireland
 https://registers.nli.ie/about

My paternal ancestry is R.C. farmers and shopkeepers in Mayo. I got the one-sided view in childhood. Then I studied history, learned how to assess information and sources, to understand differences between factual accounts and opinion, to recognise propaganda, question myths, consider motives of all actors. Result was a few lively discussions with dad & uncles. As a young adult I moved to W. Scotland and witnessed prejudice and polarisation. Late in life, I took up family history, found a few surprises. Our understanding of history shouldn't be set in stone, we sometimes need to reassess it. 
Cowban

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Friday 07 January 22 22:11 GMT (UK) »
its great to see this thread revived by some descendants of the people concerned , hopefully there will be some new information and connections now .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson