Author Topic: Maurice A Sharpe 1924 looking for relatives  (Read 5919 times)

Offline MET128

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maurice A Sharpe 1924 looking for relatives
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 January 17 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Jim could you share a link to that for me :-)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 January 17 11:22 GMT (UK) »
I don't think that the Maurice (Sharp) on the Ancestry tree is the same one. He was born West Ham 1924 mmn Wright
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 January 17 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried searching current electoral registers for the Sharpe family you are looking for.  As previously mentioned we are not supposed to post names of possibly living people.

Offline MET128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 January 17 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying Rosie but I am new to all this! its quite tricky!

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 January 17 13:33 GMT (UK) »

I am tracing the family history but also looking for living relatives. 

So, can you tell us - when Maurice was born? Who were his parents? When did his parents die? Was Maurice informant at their deaths? Did they leave Wills - if so is Maurice mentioned? Or his siblings?

If you build up a picture of the family then you may get more of an inkling as to what happened to Maurice.  It is much better then us just working on a name is isolation! How are you related to him? Are you descended from one of his siblings?

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 January 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi lizdb

Follows on from this post
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=762709.0
Parents
John S Sharpe
Katherine/Rena Tanner

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 January 17 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie - also a random "shot in the dark" approach.

MET28 - we are all willing to help you in your Family History research, but need something definite as a starting place to work from! 
Are you sure this Maurice (that this thread is about) is relevant to your family - seems he was stumbled upon rather randomly on the other thread. If he isn't, then no point going to great lengths trying to see if he had children or nephews or nieces who may still be alive today.

Are the John Sharpe ad Katherine Tanner (from other thread) definitely your ancestors? If so, how are you linked to them, thus how linked to this possible Maurace?  If not, then you need to ge back a stage and work back one step at a time, confirming each step as you go before moving on or pursuing a tangent.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline MET128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 January 17 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

So all I know is Katherine Sarah Tanner born Cheriton 1896 was my great grandmother.

Cyril Tanner (my grandfather) born 1916 was her son - but there is no father on the birth certificate.

At his marriage Cyril listed Charles Augustus Tanner as his father. This was actually Katherines father. I believe she was a young unmarried mother and Cyril was raised as her brother not her son, I don't think he ever knew the truth.

My Father remembers Katherine (Auntie Cis) coming on the train to visit from "London". He thinks she lived with a man in London but doesn't remember if she was married and he also thinks she had a son in London although my dad never met him.

The marriage of Katherine Tanner to Sharpe in 1922 in wandsworth would seem like a good fit. 
How she got to London I have no idea. She as listed as at school in Cheriton leaving 1911. I have no idea what she did after that and no idea where else to look for any information on her?

I have ordered the marriage certificate to see if it lists Katherines full name and her fathers name.  Hopefully it will list Charles Augustus from Cheriton!

Is there anything else I can do to confirm the link?

There is a Katherine Sharpe is listed on the 1939 census as a widow with two children in wandsworth. If this is indeed the right Katherine then these children would be my dads uncles.
It is highly unlikely that there is any information remaining as to who my Cyrils father is but these children would be my only hope of finding out i think. It is possible that Katherine would have told them, or left some information behind when she died.

I suppose all I can do now is wait for the marriage certificate to turn up?!

I tried googleing the hospital in bury st edmunds  which is actually how i found rootschat! It seems someone else had been asking about the same hospital.
but i didn't come up with anything :-(
I suppose I had some wild hope that there might be records left from the hospital that might indicate who the father was...

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 January 17 15:18 GMT (UK) »
If Cyril was illegitimate and his mother KAtherine left no record of who his father was on any surviving document (eg birth cert or baptism entry) then you will never know who his father was.  Guessing is a waste of time.
Even if you think there is someone who it might be, it is hardly fair to name someone as fathering an illegitimate child based on guesswork. It could be anyone. So following that line back is not an option.

Clearly he saw his grandfather Charles Augustus as the father figure on his life.

So, if you want to follow the line further back -  have you found Charles Augustus and KAtherine on 1911 census? On 1901?  Charles Augustus's marriage?

If you are wanting to try and work forwards to see what happened to KAtherine - have you -
found Charles Augustus's death? Did Katherine register it? Did he , or her mum, leave a Will, if so do they mention Katherine either still as Tanner or with a married name?  Dod KAtherine have siblings? following them may produce something.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex