Author Topic: A challenge for 2017 - become a transcriber for FreeREG  (Read 13366 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: A challenge for 2017 - become a transcriber for FreeREG
« Reply #27 on: Monday 16 January 17 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Just in case I haven't convinced you to transcribe yet.... occasionally you come across a name that makes you titter ;D

When you arbitrate you find yourself tittering a little more frequently especially with documents transcribed by folk who don't speak the language being transcribed. ;) ;) ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 00:05 GMT (UK) »
I used to transcribe Crewlists (which are on FindMyPast as far as I know),  but when that came to an end I switched to transcribing Royal Navy WWI service records.  The idea is that the records are transcribed by 2 people and crosschecked, but although I've done over 900 now (about 100 a month which I don't think is many really), none of mine have been marked as crosschecked, although I can only see the last 90 records I've transcribed (or rejected if they didn't serve in WWI).  I feel I am so far ahead of others that I get a bit disheartened, so I haven't done many since Christmas.  I will get back to it though.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 07:01 GMT (UK) »

LizzieW that may be because there are more transcribers than there are folk crosschecking the completed transcriptions.  ;)

Don't get disheartened.   I have done a lot of transcribing so applied to do arbitrating as well in an effort to help get records online quicker. ;) ;)
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 08:07 GMT (UK) »
LizzieW that may be because there are more transcribers than there are folk crosschecking the completed transcriptions.  ;)

You could be right.... when I'd been transcribing for Familysearch for a while, they emailed me frequently asking me to arbitrate, until finally I relented!

I remember Familysearch's program was quite good - you downloaded a "batch" and the image appeared in the same window as your transcriptions, and the program submitted your work to the server. I stopped because the program kept making my ancient computer crash! FreeREG is a bit more complicated (I had to get hold of the images from SEAX, and you have to submit your work through the website), but at least it doesn't crash my computer. :)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 08:23 GMT (UK) »

I have been transcribing for Family Search for a few years now and also finally gave in and do arbitration as well. Makes a change from transcriptions  ;D ;D

Must admit I haven't had any issues with their programme on my aging pc ;D ;D.  I also do for Billion Graves which is nice because it's online transcriptions nothing to download. Apparently Family Search will be changing to a Web based indexing programme later this year.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 09:09 GMT (UK) »
LizzieW that may be because there are more transcribers than there are folk crosschecking the completed transcriptions.

You could be right but, perhaps in my ignorance, I assumed that when two people had transcribed the same data, the crosschecking would be instant and only if something was different would it need an arbitrator.  Obviously I'm giving too much credence to a government department computer program.  ::)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 09:22 GMT (UK) »

I don't know how it works with others but with Family Search once the record has been arbitrated the next step is it gets put on line.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm tempted, but I'm about to increase my hours at work by 24 and I'm already struggling to keep up with the housework.  My husband wants me to give up the family tree as well :(.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 09:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm tempted, but I'm about to increase my hours at work by 24 and I'm already struggling to keep up with the housework.  My husband wants me to give up the family tree as well :(.

Don't give in to giving up the familytree because of OH, you need some interest of your own.  ;)  At least it is a hobby that you can pop in & out of when you have time, with no pressures and you can continue visiting rootschat as well  ;D   

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk