Author Topic: A challenge for 2017 - become a transcriber for FreeREG  (Read 13387 times)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
Re: A challenge for 2017 - become a transcriber for FreeREG
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm tempted, but I'm about to increase my hours at work by 24 and I'm already struggling to keep up with the housework.  My husband wants me to give up the family tree as well :(.

Don't give in to giving up the familytree because of OH, you need some interest of your own.  ;)  At least it is a hobby that you can pop in & out of when you have time, with no pressures and you can continue visiting rootschat as well  ;D   

Rosie

You can't give up! Like Rosie says, you can dip in and out when you have the time.... easier said than done though, I know how addictive it is ;D
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 11:41 GMT (UK) »
If you are working longer hours to bring in more money, make sure that your husband helps out more with the housework! I agree with the others, why should you give up FH? If your husband mentions it again, ask him what hobby he is prepared to give up.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 13:22 GMT (UK) »

Agreed Pharma, get hubby to pitch in and help, if you are adding to the family income then he can sure help with the housework.  It shouldn't be all on you.

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
pharmaT - it seems from the previous responses that everyone on here thinks you shouldn't give up family history research - unless you want to.  Why should you give up your hobby just because you're working extra hours, as others have said you should get your husband and family to help out, after all your extra working hours are benefiting them too.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Well I took up the challenge but have to admit I'm struggling.   

I received no instructions whatsoever on how to use the software, although I think I've just about figured it out.  Also I'm not sure if its just because I'm working on test files sent as a PDF but I expected the images to import into the software to make it easy to read and type simultaneously, but as it stands every time I scroll the image to the next line the WinReg software minimises itself, which is an absolute pain. 

I will persevere but I cant say I'm enjoying it.   :(
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 21:14 GMT (UK) »
I may contact them to see what they say about me doing Finchingfield pre 1783. I may get told to use the SEAX website or they alone may have copies of them prior to 1783 ready to transcribe.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 23:22 GMT (UK) »
... I expected the images to import into the software to make it easy to read and type simultaneously, but as it stands every time I scroll the image to the next line the WinReg software minimises itself, which is an absolute pain.

It's a nice idea, but I'm wondering how you might work on a standard (Excel) spreadsheet with a Jpeg image as source, in one active window.  If you have a good idea, send Mike in Johannesburg a 'bug' report and I'm sure he will try to help you out.   :D

I usually manage to have about 8 rows of the spreadsheet visible, with a similar number of records visible in the image, so minimising the minimising as it were.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 23:43 GMT (UK) »
It's a nice idea, but I'm wondering how you might work on a standard (Excel) spreadsheet with a Jpeg image as source, in one active window.  .

Maybe I've just been spoilt at work, but I was honestly expecting software that would import the file into the program and work on a split-screen basis - top half for viewing, bottom half for typing.  I can see under Tools there's an Image Viewer but as I didn't get any instructions on how to use WinReg I've no idea what that's about. 

As I said, I'll persevere and see how it goes.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Jomot - I found WinREG a bit confusing at first. The tricky bit is knowing what info to enter when you start a new file - just ask your coordinator for help, then once you've got the file set up it's pretty straightforward. If you need any help, post a screenshot on here and I'll see if I can help.

I agree that it's annoying that you can't see the image in the same screen as your transcriptions. I flick between the two windows (using Alt-Tab) and that works for me. Or I suppose you could fit the two windows on the same screen.

Coombs - when I started, I was told I had to use my own SEAX subscription to get the images. Luckily I'd downloaded all the parishes I wanted before my subscription expired. I was advised to start with post-1813 records, but if you're confident with the earlier handwriting I guess you can tell the coordinator you want to start with that. I notice that Finchingfield has already been part-transcribed, but not updated since 2012, so hopefully you'll be able to take up the baton!
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!