Author Topic: A challenge for 2017 - become a transcriber for FreeREG  (Read 13367 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: A challenge for 2017 - become a transcriber for FreeREG
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I am just now waiting for those PDF's to be sent to me so I can do a practise transcribe as part of my training. The email I got also said the unbreakable rule is type what you see.

Yes, it makes sense to tell all 'novices' that.  But you have probably seen some recent threads on here discussing 'leeway'.  Personally I only enter what looks like gibberish if I can't make better sense of 'what I first see'.  Often it's worth taking some time becoming familiar with (a) the original writing habit and (b) the commonly recurring surnames or place-names of the series you are working on.  You may well be able to revisit some earlier work when you think 'oh, that's what it was ...'

When transcribing baptisms or burials I copy what I see in personal names, even when they are clearly just mis-spellings.  However I see little point in reproducing variants in well-known place names such as Manchester, or names of months, for example.  We must remember that others are searching for records, and we should have a little licence to increase their chances of a hit.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I am just now waiting for those PDF's to be sent to me so I can do a practise transcribe as part of my training. The email I got also said the unbreakable rule is type what you see.

Yes, it makes sense to tell all 'novices' that.  But you have probably seen some recent threads on here discussing 'leeway'.  Personally I only enter what looks like gibberish if I can't make better sense of 'what I first see'.  Often it's worth taking some time becoming familiar with (a) the original writing habit and (b) the commonly recurring surnames or place-names of the series you are working on.  You may well be able to revisit some earlier work when you think 'oh, that's what it was ...'

When transcribing baptisms or burials I copy what I see in personal names, even when they are clearly just mis-spellings.  However I see little point in reproducing variants in well-known place names such as Manchester, or names of months, for example.  We must remember that others are searching for records, and we should have a little licence to increase their chances of a hit.

I will always take time to study what the writing says, rather than transcribe what I first see, always best to take a closer look.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Re "type what you see" - the transcription is supposed to be a representation of what is on the page, not our interpretation of what it should say. So we shouldn't make corrections to spelling mistakes, or guess a gender - leave it blank if it isn't explicit. Any abbreviations should be written as they are, but abbreviations for months are obvious, and I think it's fair to assume that "mos" means months and "yrs" means years.

For example, if you see a place name that has been spelled incorrectly, don't correct it, as it may not refer to the place you're thinking about.

Here's a thread I started a while ago about proofreading your work: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=746132.msg5933343#msg5933343
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Just as a worked example, so if you saw Manch'r in  as the abode in a Manchester parish, best practice is to transcribe as Manch'r ?
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Re "type what you see" - the transcription is supposed to be a representation of what is on the page, not our interpretation of what it should say. So we shouldn't make corrections to spelling mistakes, or guess a gender - leave it blank if it isn't explicit.

Unfortunately it's not always that simple.  For example my current baptisms are recorded as 'Fred son of Jas. and Mary Jones' while the standard FreeReg template only offers choices of Male, Female, etc.  So 'son' has to be translated into Male - not an exact representation of the original.

And I stop short of what I regard as 'interpretation' (your word) preferring 'recognition'.  I respect the original ad-hoc spellings of given names of which C18 clerics didn't have a standard version; it helps us imagine how the people of those days spoke the words.  But I am also aware that when that version is so far from what searchers may hope to find, we may not be helping as much as we might.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Re "type what you see" - the transcription is supposed to be a representation of what is on the page, not our interpretation of what it should say. So we shouldn't make corrections to spelling mistakes, or guess a gender - leave it blank if it isn't explicit.

Unfortunately it's not always that simple.  For example my current baptisms are recorded as 'Fred son of Jas. and Mary Jones' while the standard FreeReg template only offers choices of Male, Female, etc.  So 'son' has to be translated into Male - not an exact representation of the original.
rom what searchers may hope to find, we may not be helping as much as we might.

Fair point. We also have to make little decisions about which data belongs in which field - e.g. often there's a date of birth in the margin but it doesn't explicitly say it's the date of birth, it's a fair assumption that it is though. And I've just transcribed a burial for Henry John Finch Croxon - I assumed that Croxon was the surname and the others are first names, since it wasn't obviously double-barrelled as Finch-Croxon.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 12:44 GMT (UK) »
... I respect the original ad-hoc spellings of given names of which C18 clerics didn't have a standard version; it helps us imagine how the people of those days spoke the words.  But I am also aware that when that version is so far from what searchers may hope to find, we may not be helping as much as we might.

A suitable example has just come up.  With this lovely script the transcription is obvious - but what on earth is the surname?  The only one I can connect with it might be Boughey, which has already appeared once or twice.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 13:47 GMT (UK) »
That's the sort of thing that wouldn't show up in a soundex or wildcard search...

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Looking at other letters, I'd read that as Beuyh - but that doesn't look like a name does it?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk