Author Topic: Clarification on possible mis-transcription - Warwick & Worcester mix-up!  (Read 2533 times)

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Clarification on possible mis-transcription - Warwick & Worcester mix-up!
« on: Saturday 14 January 17 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm once more trying to break down some brick walls researching my Griffin/Wood line in the Leigh-with-Bransford / Worcester area.

William Wood and wife Ann had 3 traced children, I believe the eldest of which, Harriet, died almost immediately after baptism (16th December 1816) in Alfrick, just to the north of Malvern, and was buried on 28th Dec. I found a baptism for their 2nd daughter Rebecca in Malvern 31 May 1818 (LDS entry, I've not seen the actual document) and another of 29 Sept 1822 in Leigh With Bransford for their son Robert.

Initially I thought William Wood married Anne Stephens in 1807 in Worcester as it was the only marriage record that seemed to match, I've not found any matching marriages in Malvern or the surrounding districts. However in that case why the 9 year gap before children? Then, after the LDS re-vamp I found a perfect matching entry in the LDS and FindMyPast records:

Wm. Wood marriage to Ann Moulton, 09 Feb 1816, marriage place: (blank) residence: Worcester, Worcestershire.

This seems much closer a match to the children born 1816-1822.. however.... not so fast!

I just found an entry of marriage Banns on Ancestry:
Name:    Ann Molton
Event Type:    Bann
Marriage or Bann Date:    4 Feb 1816
Marriage or Bann Place:    Warwick, St Mary, Warwickshire, England
Husband William Wood, "of this parish"

4th February 1816? Hang on a minute, surely this is exactly the same as the supposed 9th Feb Worcester marriage above? But there's no mention of Worcester at all in the Banns. So what's happening here? Did they issue Banns in Warwick then marry in Worcester? Or is it a transcriber mix-up?

I can see the Banns record on Ancestry (attached below), but I've only seen a transcription of the 1816 marriage entry on FindMyPast and LDS (I think it's referenced on Ancestry too, but my subs won't allow viewing) - does anyone have a full subscription who can look up and confirm? If indeed it's a mis-reading by FindMyPast/LDS I'm back to the drawing board researching William and Ann's marriage, as far as I know my family has no connection to Warwick.

Many thanks!

Oxfordshire: SHAYLER, HERN,
Gloucestershire: MEADOWS, HERBERT,
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN, WOOD,
Denbighshire: WILLIAMS, JAMES, EDWARDS, DAVIES.

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification on possible mis-transcription - Warwick & Worcester mix-up!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 17 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Just realised Find My Past has almost identical entries for Wm. Wood | Ann Moulton marriages on 9th February both in Warwick ( http://search.findmypast.com/record?id=r_855224687%2f2 ) and in Worcester ( http://search.findmypast.com/record?id=r_849797352%2f2 )

Same names, same day, different counties. It looks suspicious, should I assume the Worcester entry is a mistake?

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 17 16:26 GMT (UK) »

I've had a look at the Warwick St Mary images on Anc* the Banns record is there for the fourth of Feb. The actual marriage register for their marriage is a bit strange. The couple have signed the register along with witnesses: Jn Chamberlain ( church official) and Joseph Robbins.
The minister hasn't filled in the rest or signed it - I'm presuming they married in Worcester.

Someone with better knowledge may be able to help further.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 17 16:31 GMT (UK) »
This is the image from Family Search of the marriage entry - as ..claire.. states, the body of the entry has not been completed, but both parties signed.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 January 17 17:26 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Is this William and Ann in 1841?

1841  HO107/1205/2  f.56  p.1  Leigh, Worcestershire

William WOOD    56    Ind    N
Ann           "          55            N

If so, then they both have an N for "not born in county" so maybe they came from Warwickshire, or at least married there :-\

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 17 01:16 GMT (UK) »
The LDS entry that says Worcester is from Film No 350533, which is the Bishops Transcript for the Diocese of Worcester http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ja0/ and more specifically Warwick Deanery http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ja1/

However, the images are from film 559247, which is the Parish Register for Warwick, St Mary  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ja2/

Warwick used to come under the Worcester diocese, which presumably is the source of the confusion, although in fairness LDS have not actually claimed that the County was Worcester, they have simply claimed it as the 'marriage place' without inserting the word "diocese".  Simples!

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ja3/  (page 46)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 January 17 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks everyone!

Hmm, this is all rather curious... blank entries, incomplete records, it seems to be the bane of my Worcestershire family research! So Jomot, the indication then is that they were married in Warwick rather than Worcester, which would suggest they are not my family members. And yet... the only census I found matching William and Ann is the 1841 entry mentioned by Daisypetal, and that does indicate they were not born in county, so maybe they were from Warwick after all!

My evidence for William and Ann comes from daughter Rebecca's 1845 marriage certificate (indicating William as father, a miller). The most likely matching baptism record for Rebecca (on the LDS - in Malvern 31st May 1818) mentions William and Ann as parents, through that I found probable births with the same parents for sister Harriet (16th Dec 1816 in Alfrick and Lulsley), and brother Robert (29th Sept 1822, Leigh With Bransford). There could of course be more undiscovered children.

As each of these children's baptism is in a slightly different, but adjacent hamlets between Malvern and Worcester, perhaps there was some movement of William and Ann in the are around the time of the children's births. Or am I simply reading different families as the same? So hard to be sure! 

Should I pay any attention to the Warwick Banns and (supposed) Worcester entry for marriage? The evidence connecting these to my William and Ann seems so flimsy and hard to decipher now!

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 January 17 23:18 GMT (UK) »

As you mention that the William you are looking for was a miller I wonder if this could relate to him?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7029081

I haven't found a William WOOD marriage to Ann PRESSDEE yet.

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting, another William Wood=Ann marriage! Though I've not found any record of this in parish records or BMD's. It's very promising though, as the largely indecipherable names of two witnesses to daughter Rebecca's marriage to Thomas Griffin in 1845 could just be Pressdee!

I've come up against brick walls for both the Wood and Griffin lines of my research in the area, it seems there are so many gaps in the Worcestershire records - marriages without corresponding birth records, census listings with no birth records.