Author Topic: Guernsey...RICHINGS Family  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Mollylouise

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Guernsey...RICHINGS Family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 March 19 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi 'CornBunting' I've come across this thread whilst searching on Google for Richings family history in Guernsey. Are you a Richings yourself? Please can you tell me what information you may have found since this thread as I have noticed it's from 2017 and I hope you are still using this site! My surname is Richings and my grandfathers side of the family is from Guernsey. I hope to hear from you.

Offline CornBunting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 March 19 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello.....

So lovely to hear from you.  If you are a Richings then you may hopefully be a descendant of Jacob b. 27th Apr. 1824....son of John Richings, baker and Hannah of Wotton Under Edge, Gloucestershire.  I have traced Jacob from his life in Wotton, his marriage(s?) and his arrival in Guernsey. Where, it seems he had made a pretty good life. Are you there?

If you contact me tomorrow I will dig out the stuff I have re: Jacob. Please let me know how I can help or if there are things you particularly hope to find. The Richings are a fascinating bunch.

Offline Mollylouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 March 19 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply! Yes I am a Richings and I'm living in Dorset, there's quite a few of us here. I only started my tree yesterday so I haven't got very far. I'm stuck on my great grandfathers parents who I believe came from or lived in Guernsey. My great grandfather was was born David George richings b. 1920 d. 1981. Are you a Richings?

Offline CornBunting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 March 19 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello..... No I am not a Richings but tracing their tree is my most serious hobby. The butcher I go to (a Richings) has a photo on his shop wall. I asked him if it was his family. he replied ''Yes, but I'm not sure how''. 'I can check that out'....I said. The rest is history. I have followed their lives from Wotton to America, through Ist World War, New Zealand....their history locally....They never cease to amaze. I really do like them.

I have reached a point with my own Tree where I need to travel to Record Offices, etc. which is not do-able at the moment. I am back to the 1700s with most of it. That is when digging gets a bit more difficult.  I help with other people's trees as I like the detective/puzzle solving elements.

As I mentioned above... The Richings are my hobby and fortunately I can research much of their history on-line or locally. This is not something I do for financial gain. In fact it is really magical to be able to pass on stuff I have to Richings kin, which is what I do. Kind of completing the circle if you like.

I will dig out my Jacob stuff.

Offline Mollylouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 March 19 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow that's really interesting. Has the butchers been passed down through the family or not? As I said I only started yesterday but I have managed to complete parents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc and great great grandparents but now I'm stuck. But I am enjoying the detective work too! haha. Ah that's great, thank you so much!

Offline CornBunting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 March 19 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello...…….

Where was David George Richings b.1920...….born?

All the Richings men seemed to be butchers. Some did other things but knew the butchers skill. Jacob was a baker as was his father John b.1790. Jacob transferred his skills from baker to brewer when he reached Guernsey. Sounds odd but they share similarities.

Offline Mollylouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 March 19 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm not too sure about that at the moment. I have just found out that David had a sister called Mary and she owned a pub in Guernsey, I couldn't tell you the year though unfortunately!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 March 19 22:55 GMT (UK) »
There is no birth in England or Wales for David George Richings but his death reg in 1981 shows he was b 22.4.1920

He does not appear in England on the 1939 register but he married in Poole in 1941
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mollylouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 March 19 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole. No I can't seem to find his birth record or details of his parents. He was born 1920 and died 1981. He married Kathleen joan Broomfield in 1941. I have everything after these 2 but it's before that I'm looking for.