Author Topic: Does anyone know where 50 PTC was?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Special K

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know where 50 PTC was?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 February 17 12:39 GMT (UK) »
I am reasonably sure that P.T.C refers to Personnel Transit Centre as I am researching my fathers wartime career in the RAF and he was stationed firstly at AIR 29/486 No 54 P.T.C at Taranto (in southern Italy) from Sept 1944 to Jan 1946. He notes in his log book that he is on staff here. He then moved on to Milan and then on to another PTC at Villach in Austria called Camp Alemain but I can find little record of this. He told me he was one of two movements officers at this transit centre.
Kennedy
Dodgson
Band
Foggie
Yarwood
Roberts
Alcock
Thompson

Offline dixwimby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I think this has to be a transit centre. My father had been at 367 Wireless unit in Hong Kong. Little sai wan. 4.5. 1946 50 ptl it is written but think this is ptc. Then about 2 months later is at 101 pdc for release.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 15:03 GMT (UK) »
There's a 23 January 1948 newspaper report of soldier absconding from "50 PTC Maidstone".

Offline Rookieplayer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 March 23 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've just got my grandads service record and he too was in Hong hong. The last entry before the despatch centre was 50 PTC like yours. Have you uncovered anything? I know that my grandfather was a gunner in the RAF and later on he worked along with the Hong Kong police Investigating opium dens etc. I wander if PTC could stand for Police Traning Contingency?