Author Topic: Oo-er!  (Read 4640 times)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Oo-er!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Well, I might not be a sonofa... but not so sure about being a 1stcousin3timesremovedofa...

And while I might defend the reputation of relations from East Harting or Keston to the hilt, I'll be a bit more cautious of the ones from Kings Cross, Southwark and the like
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 22:04 GMT (UK) »
My mother actually WAS a dressmaker; because she was disabled, it was thought that a mostly sitting down job was all she could do.   She trained as a court dressmaker, and made gowns and undies for minor royalty, and celebs like Fanny Craddock, Bebe Daniels, Kathleen Ferrier, etc.   

And never a whiff of scandal about my mother, but not so for some of her customers !    :o
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
A relative of Jane Austen was a milliner. It was in a radio programme about her that I first learned of the connection with ladies of the night. I think it was said in the programme that unemployed milliners could fall into prostitution. So might any unemployed young woman at the time.
JA's relative went to India as a kind of mail-order bride for a British officer. She had an affair with the famous Clive of India and had a daughter. Clive was godfather to child. The daughter married a French aristocrat. He was executed during the French Revolution.
Cowban

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 23:58 GMT (UK) »
I have one who was a shirt-maker!  Do you think she called herself that to attract male custom??
Maybe she was genuine  ;D ;D ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I suppose that both millinery and dressmaking, realistically, could be started with a very small outlay of money, and were suited to working from home.
They also by working from home avoided having to work in some sort of factory or mill, too, probably, so were seen as perhaps a little more genteel than that sort of work, possibly? At least in their own eyes.
I noticed that very few of my family tree seem to have been employed as domestic servants - but then we always were a stroppy lot, and probably wouldn't have lasted long in that kind of job.
-Actually, the milliners I've found in my wider family history worked with sisters who were dressmakers, and it seemed to be more than one generation. Not sure if that makes it a worse or better idea!!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Previous post on the same topic here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=292299.0

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 January 17 08:07 GMT (UK) »
This 'problem' is so well known, that it also crops up in Terry Pratchett's Disc world books :)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 January 17 10:42 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 the occupations sometimes appeared together.

Have a look at RG9/2948 ed22 fol88 pg31.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 January 17 11:37 GMT (UK) »
This 'problem' is so well known, that it also crops up in Terry Pratchett's Disc world books :)

Bob

Ah yes! The Ankh-Morpork Seamstresses Guild!

The seamstresses in the Seamstresses' Guild are, in the politically-correct language of the modern Ankh-Morpork, ladies of negotiable affection, ladies whose company and loving attention, crudely put, could be hired for a night.
Motto: NIL VOLVPTI, SINE LVCRE ("No Pleasure Without Pay")
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)