Author Topic: translating an entry on an irish birth record  (Read 2541 times)

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: translating an entry on an irish birth record
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 10:52 GMT (UK) »
When John got married he would have sent to Summerhill for a letter of freedom, the priest in Summerhill wrote the details of the marriage on John's baptism, when he checked that John was indeed baptised in his church.

It fairly common (but not common enough) to find marriage details on a baptism when the person gets married outside their own parish.

I think it also applies when someone marries in their own parish. (saves the P.P. trawling through his marriage Register, much easier to find a note in the Baptism Register)

I think it started in about 1908 - a ruling came from above (the bishops? the Pope?) that a note of every marriage in R.C. churches should be sent back to the churches in which each spouse was baptised.
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: translating an entry on an irish birth record
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 February 17 01:57 GMT (UK) »
eadaoin
I've just checked my English Granddad's parish register. You're correct that it included marriages of people in the same parish in which they were baptised. My parents' marriage was added to my mother's baptism entry.
In that parish at least, the custom wasn't always kept. No mention of Grandad's wedding on his baptismal entry, yet another wedding the same year (1913) was added to the person's baptism. Perhaps it took the priests a while to get onto the habit.
Cowban