Author Topic: Uniform help please  (Read 1590 times)

Offline barbarai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Uniform help please
« on: Wednesday 18 January 17 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was wondering if any of you lovely people could help me out with my 2x great grandfather's military uniform please. All I know about him is that his name is George Baker not sure when or where he was born. He married (no record of that!), Eliza Philips born 1851, and they lived in the Woolwich and Plumstead area. He doesn't appear on any census with Eliza though he is in the electoral roles at her address. He disappears from them after 1891. All I have are photos so his military record is my last hope of finding any info on him. Thank you
Phillips- monmouthshire & Kent, Ilsley- Berkshire & London, Reed- Lambeth & London, Drake- London, Eke- Norfolk, Martin-London,Gilson- Essex, Hubbard-Suffolk, Pevan-Russia, Gordon-I.O.W & Kent, Richardson-London & Essex, Willis-Bristol & London, Arthur -Devon & London, Burch-Beds & Herts., Bunce-Bucks & Herts, Hewey- London.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Possibly 4th Dragoon Guards - "This regiment wore the Star of the Order of St. Patrick in silver as an arm badge since 1868 but it was not approved till 1887. It was worn by sergeants and above including W/Os."

http://www.uniformology.com/UIDSPEC-08.html

Offline barbarai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks, i was once told that it was the Rifle Brigade and that it was a rifle shooting proficiency badge?
Phillips- monmouthshire & Kent, Ilsley- Berkshire & London, Reed- Lambeth & London, Drake- London, Eke- Norfolk, Martin-London,Gilson- Essex, Hubbard-Suffolk, Pevan-Russia, Gordon-I.O.W & Kent, Richardson-London & Essex, Willis-Bristol & London, Arthur -Devon & London, Burch-Beds & Herts., Bunce-Bucks & Herts, Hewey- London.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Kings Royal Rifle Corps but have to wait for an expert to come along and see this.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

He looks to me to be from a volunteer battalion, possibly the rifles. Dragoon guards would be wearing white crossbelt and waist belt.  Rifles wore black leather crossbelts

The uniform is too pale to be the dark red of the DGs and also has a narrow braid around the centre of the collar. Normally found on VB uniforms not regulars. Then there is the hat sitting on the table beside him, not cavalry of any sort.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 16:58 GMT (UK) »
White five pointed star above right cuff is for five years services as a volunteer.

If you know where he lived then look for local unit. Part-timers lived in the same county.

Ken

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

I believe he is possibly a member of one of the 26 volunteer battalions who became the London Regt in 1908. A number of them were volunteer battalions of the Rifle Brigade and KRRC. It's just working out which he may have joined from where he was living.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Regiment

John915

Added, most likely would be Blackheath, Camberwell and Southwark.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline barbarai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 January 17 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help, hopefully i will be able to find his service record now.  ;D

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 January 17 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia