Author Topic: 1st Regiment of Foot Guards 1746 to 1769  (Read 961 times)

Offline Beans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alfred Boot - Printer Master
    • View Profile
1st Regiment of Foot Guards 1746 to 1769
« on: Tuesday 24 January 17 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I have a Barnes Boote - born around 1728 - who was in the 1st Regiment of Foot Guards from 1746 to 1769 (minimum). He died in 1774.

I have been advised by the archivist at the Grenadiers Museum that they do not hold any records for before 1785.

Does this mean that there are no records out there for the 1st Regiment of Foot Guards?
Would the National Archive WO12 records hold any earlier Information?

I have seen that there was at least 1 campaign during this period - St Malo 1758. What are the chances of finding any records of soldiers during this campaign? Or even of the time they spen in Westminster?

Any help whatsoever would be appreciated.
Boot - London/Middlesex pre 1780
Dickens/Dickins - Stewkley
Fox - Souldern
Butler - Pembroke Dock

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Regiment of Foot Guards 1746 to 1769
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I can't help you with regimental records, but they served in the War of Austrian Succession 1741 - 1748 and the Seven Years War 1756 -1763.

Added: Regiment at Battle of Fontenoy 1745. 4 companies plus grenadier company at St Malo 1758. Had to surrender after ammunition ran out.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Beans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Regorian but I think you will find that the 1st Regiment of Foot served in these campaigns and not the 1st Regiment of Foot Guards
Until yesterday I thought they were one and the same but was advised by a Rootschat contributor that this was not the case - see below

1st Regiment of Foot Named as follows:

- 1st (Royal) Regiment of Foot 1751–1812
- 1st Regiment of Foot (Royal Scots) 1812–1821
- 1st or The Royal Regiment of Foot 1821–1871
- 1st or The Royal Scots Regiment 1871–1881[21]
1661 Raised 28 March 1633 in Scotland for French service
Was on English Establishment in 1661 and in 1666–67; permanently from 1678.[21]

Wheras the 1st Regiment of Foot Guards were named  as follows:

1656 The Royal Regiment of Guards
1660 The King's Regiment of Guards
1685 The 1st Regiment of Foot Guards
1815 The 1st or Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards

Fox - Souldern
Butler - Pembroke Dock

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Beans, I don't know what happened there. My first para was from Wiki 1st Regiment of Foot Guards, yet when I go back there, it's all changed.

Second para. is from:-

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyunits/britishinfantry/1stfoot.htm. Although the Link says 1st Foot, the substance of the contents is 1st Regiment of Foot Guards.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 16:38 GMT (UK) »
This splendid old book has mention of St Malo.  https://archive.org/details/britishminorexp00unkngoog

This link looks promising regarding digitised histories (top line) http://www.grengds.com/static.php?content_id=149

The muster books http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C2461372 should certainly have records of his presence in the regiment but as they are not digitised, trawling through them would be a formidable exercise and would yield only the barest of information.

I would suggest a concentration on histories is your best bet.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 18:48 GMT (UK) »
The musters are in Kew. There were two battalions with separate musters before 1760 and three battalions after. So you need to pick a year before 1760 and look at both musters for that year. Musters this old will not give you as much information as ones from the19th century. They consist of one large sheet per company listing the men serving at the end of the period. Plus details of men leaving and joining the company in the period. You may get details of where a new recruit enlisted, but that will be all.

Also the muster was signed a few months after the muster period. Where it was signed should be recorded, but no details of where the company was during the muster period will be given.

Ken

Offline Beans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks guys for this Information.

@ Regorian, yes, that was the publication which I have here at home as well - but thanks anyway

@ maxD - wicked, thats exacly what I was looking for. Volume 2 of "The origin and history of the First or Grenadier Guards" covers the years I am interested in. I have downloaded the book and printed-off the relevant pages - very interesting. I now know basically what he did whilst in London.
I also now have the book "British Minor Expiditions" and the St Malmo chapters are full of good stuff.
With respect to the Muster Books I have printed-off a list of those which interest me and will be visiting the National Archives in March. Thanks for them.

@ km1971 - you obviously know quite a bit about these Muster Books and I am very gratefull to you for providing me with the best way forward. When I am in Kew in March I shall start with "WO 12/1538    Dec 1740 - 1741 1st Foot Guards (or Grenadiers)" and work my way up from there. Many thanks also for warning me of the possible minimum content and what to expect

I know from his marriage record from 1751 stating he was in the 1st Regiment of Foot Guards and from a Chelsea Pensioners Hospital record from 1769 stating that he was 45 years old, had 23 years of Service but unfortunately I cannot decypher his Regiment nor where he was Born (see attachment).
Barnes is my 5th great grandfather.
I did post it on the Rootschat Old Handwriting site, and there were a number of good suggestions for the "Born near" but no breakthrough yet.

Thanks a lot again guys, facinating information.
Fox - Souldern
Butler - Pembroke Dock