Author Topic: Desperately seeking what happened to Harriet Farrand  (Read 4096 times)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately seeking what happened to Harriet Farrand
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 12 February 17 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have been following this thread and like everyone else, getting frustrated at not being able to come up with some answers.

I wondered if you had seen the 1881 census entry for a John Wm Roberts age 16 at a boarding school in Hulme, Manchester. I wondered if this could be your John?

There is also a Sarah Roberts age 36 a widow in HM "Cheetham" in Manchester (prisoner no 21 on Page 27)  - a cotton factory worker. If you can't find it, the prison matron was a Sarah Ann Hitchen and the head an Alfred Alsop -  which might enable you to find the right page.

In 1871 I can see a John Roberts age 6 boarding with a Bridget Byrnes age 49 (originally from Ireland) but again I would not be certain it is your John.

Alan

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 12 February 17 12:04 GMT (UK) »

Obviously Alan, I am desirous to pursue any lead which might lead to what happened to Harriet Farrand or John William Roberts.  What was the Boarding School in Hulme, and how do I access the 1881 Census for it?

Also what year was Sarah Roberts a prisoner in Cheetham, Manchester, and how do I access those details?

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 12 February 17 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The census details are on the subscription site "Ancestry" - however should you not have access the 1881 details are available for free on familysearch.org (John Wm birth showing as 1865 and Sarah as 1845)

I have no idea if prisoner records are accessible, but hopefully someone else on Rootschat may know.

The sad part of this is that having looked at numerous census details I cannot see Harriet or John after their marriage in 1886 - it is so frustrating.

Interestingly Harriet's sister Eliza married a James Fox in 1877 and their family remained in Wood Street, Manchester in the 1881/1891/1901 censuses. One of their children  was named Harriet (born c1890). The question is why didn't John and Harriet also stay in the area?

I cannot find any answers - only more questions.

Alan

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 13 February 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
For those who might be interested in looking up the 1881 Census Return for the John William Roberts, Boarder at the School in Hulme, Manchester, Piece #: RG11/3925, Folio 106, Enumeration District 11, Page Number 9.

And for Sarah Roberts, who was a “guest” at HM Prison, Cheetham in Manchester, Piece #: RG11/4027, Folio 93, Enumeration District HMP, Page Number 26.

Both Sarah Roberts and John William Roberts were born in Manchester, (although we have no evidence that either the Sarah, or the John William Roberts we are looking for, were born in Manchester).  The School was at 69 Great Jackson Street, which was close to where Harriet Farrand was living, just off Deansgate.