Author Topic: Henry Edward Tillman c;1899  (Read 1778 times)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Edward Tillman c;1899
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 January 17 12:48 GMT (UK) »
This article may explain why Emily was excited to go to Africa http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/09612029400200056
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 January 17 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Pampoen
this time I did hit wrong button -Sorry

so restarted!!
John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 January 17 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Pampoen
An interesting couple of sites - think will copy the articles and forward to Trump !!!
Why an earth did they not keep Electoral roll, thank goodness your country and N.Z. otherwise would not have found our lot out there, or old Charlie Angas N.Z's  Tennis champion.

You are correct Henry never went out and died leaving his will to 'Emily Stevens', so whether they actually married or not ? but she was down as his wife on the Census- so will could have been made before they officially ? married.HE left her £177 and probate was cleared by 10th May just a month after he died - SO Emily was a bit liberal  on what she told the man in Bloomfontein, to say the least.
Just can find no other female Tillmans going to S.A. either side of 1903 ( which is when she stated she came over). Hope above gives insight (Fuzzy Logic style) to what might -have appeared - or seemed to have happened.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Here is the second marriage of Emily thanks to some kind people on Facebook. Here is her second marriage: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9BY-51C4?mode=g&i=1128&cat=677602
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
That is really great, after slowly going through 192 Marriage entries on the Archives Bloemfontein site, with no success yesterday had thought would never find it.
Great thanks to Facebook and their efforts also please.
Think that is as far as I need to go and hope it all worked out well for Emily .

Before signing off another photo of ships long gone, this is the 'M.V. Rowallan Castle', another one I sailed on, we did carry max of 12 passengers time to time, mostly going to Rhodesia via Capetown, and if( which was quite usual we had animals on-board)- t'was us Cadets who looked after them !! I once had sole charge of a Black Swan for Port Elizabeth - a problem to keep it happy when in the Tropics. 

Many Thanks again

Best

John

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 February 17 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting John. In closing I must also mention that my uncle Reg Austin started off as the tea boy with Union Castle Safmarine and ended up being the CEO of Union Castle Safmarine in Cape Town.
Regards Derek