Author Topic: Relative in Stuartfield  (Read 14739 times)

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
Re: Relative in Stuartfield
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 11 February 17 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Update: Found William Greig's DC from 1855. Lots of Info, but wife's name is listed as Elizabeth not Jean. Is Jean a diminutive of Elizabeth? Only one daughter listed, named Elspet stated age of 43. Was it common to not list illegitimate children on DC's? I would think it would be!
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 11 February 17 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone venture a guess as to why Jean Fowlie and her son would be listed as Daughter-in-Law and Grandson, respectively, in the 1851 census; and then as Servant and Visitor in the 1861?
Because the term 'daughter-in-law' is sometimes used where we would now use 'stepdaughter' (as Ruthhelen has already pointed out)?

would it be fair to assume that Jean Fowlie had a connection to William Greig and NOT Jean Greig?
Not necessarily.

Further evidence is that Jean Greig died the next year (1862) and her death was registered by a cousin and NOT by Jean Fowlie.
I wouldn't make any assumptions based on that. Maybe Jean Fowlie was working away from home and the death had to be registered before she had time to get back to do so.

Is Jean a diminutive of Elizabeth?
No.

Was it common to not list illegitimate children on DCs?
Listing of children on DCs only occurred in 1855 and not in any other year.

Any help would be appreciated...
[/quote]
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 11 February 17 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Update: Found William Greig's DC from 1855. Lots of Info, but wife's name is listed as Elizabeth not Jean. Is Jean a diminutive of Elizabeth? Only one daughter listed, named Elspet stated age of 43. Was it common to not list illegitimate children on DC's? I would think it would be!

I think that's the wrong William Greig you have there - the 1855 death is registered in Old Deer, not New Deer. There is a William Greig, widower, aged 72 in West Street, Stuartfield, Old Deer in the 1851 census - he has a daughter named Elspet living with him.

I think your William Greig must have died before 1855.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 11 February 17 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone venture a guess as to why Jean Fowlie and her son would be listed as Daughter-in-Law and Grandson, respectively, in the 1851 census; and then as Servant and Visitor in the 1861?
Because the term 'daughter-in-law' is sometimes used where we would now use 'stepdaughter' (as Ruthhelen has already pointed out)?

I was aware of that. The question I was asking, is why the person was NOT listed as D-I-L on the later census, and if this might have to do with connections to the deceased William Greig as opposed to Jean Greig (MS Yeats). Apparently I answered my own question. Yes it could.

Yes Ruth, it appears you may be right and thats NOT William Grieg's correct DC. Too Bad because theres a wealth of information on the 1855 certificates.

Black, Ross - Rathven
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 11 February 17 17:26 GMT (UK) »
It's not uncommon. My great grandfather, in 1851 was a boarder, and in 1861, a son-in-law of his stepfather :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 11 February 17 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I'll check that out ASAP
Thanks flst!
Just to let you know you can also ask the archivist to check the poor relief records for New Deer. In 1861 census Jean Greig appears as a pauper. There's a good chance you'll find out more about her :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 11 February 17 21:12 GMT (UK) »
I have a (perhaps wild) theory that Jean/Jane Fowlie may actually have been the granddaughter (or other relative) of William Greig, who he adopted, and not related to Jane/Jean Greig (nee Yeats) at all.

Jane Fowlie died in 1873 in Methlick, where she is noted as being a sick nurse, unmarried and illegitimate. Her reputed father is one Thomas Fowlie, crofter, and her mother is noted as  ‘? Greig, afterwards married to ? Ferguson, shoemaker’. And just to add to the intrigue, her death was registered by one Alexander Hutcheon, undertaker in New Deer - no relationship given...  :o

Now, a Christian Greig married an Andrew Ferguson in New Deer in 1827 - which was after the birth of Jane Fowlie who, if her age at death is to be believed, was born about 1823. Unfortunately, I can’t find any trace of Andrew Ferguson or Christian Greig after that.

Back to William Greig - he married Jane Yeats in New Deer in 1816 - which would have made him about 46 (and her 41) - old for a first marriage, so it’s perfectly possible he was married previously. Unfortunately, I can’t find any obvious previous marriage, or a birth for Christian Greig, so this remains, alas, only a theory…  ::)

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 12 February 17 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Wow Ruth, you are something else. I hadn't found Jane's DC yet...that helps a lot. Could it have been the same Alexander Hutcheon who fathered 3 children with her? And that certainly makes sense that she was not related to Jane Yeats at all. I had thought that the ages at marriage for Jane Yeats and William Greig were late....so indeed will have to look for children of William from an earlier marriage or illegitimate. So maybe three generations of illegitimate daughters in New Deer? Lots more than "crofting" going on up there!

Black, Ross - Rathven

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 12 February 17 05:34 GMT (UK) »
The Alexander Hutcheon who registered Jane's death could also be her son. Though why it wouldn't state that on the certificate is funny.
Black, Ross - Rathven