Author Topic: Help with Wills and Inventory  (Read 678 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help with Wills and Inventory
« on: Sunday 29 January 17 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone able to help me to decipher/transcribe a couple of wills and/or inventories?  These are mainly 16th and 17th century and in most cases I can read most of the names of the people mentioned and the bequests. However on some of the wills there are areas where the writing is difficult to read either because it gets very small or is very spidery (or both!). I'm having more luck with the inventories but again some sections are proving difficult to decipher either though I can again pick out names etc. The inventories I have are fairly long but any help would be welcomed.

If anyone fancies a challenge and can help me work out the names or basic contents in any of these wills or inventories please let me know. In a number of cases I only need help with the Latin probate section and or a codicil.

Thanks again

Matt

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Wills and Inventory
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 17 22:48 GMT (UK) »
For the best results, may I suggest you post on here your own transcriptions of the parts you can read, and snipped images of the parts that are giving you trouble. That way you will probably get input from several people, giving you a wider range of options for interpreting anything that's difficult.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 17 00:33 GMT (UK) »
For the best results, may I suggest you post on here your own transcriptions of the parts you can read, and snipped images of the parts that are giving you trouble. That way you will probably get input from several people, giving you a wider range of options for interpreting anything that's difficult.

A good idea thanks. However I have only managed to extract the names and small sections from some of the wills. I could post these on here but I'm not sure how I could post the image of the will also. In some cases there is only part I am having problems with, for example I am looking at a will now and although I can't read every word 100% clearly I can read all the names and relationships. However on the second page there seems to have been an additional note added in the margin and at the moment all I can make out is 1630 and a name but not the rest. If there's a way to post these images on here it would be great. Or would it be better for me to send a copy of what I have along with the notes/transcription I have managed so far to a fellow researcher to work on?

Thanks again for the tip

Matt

Offline nat11911

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 January 17 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi. To attach documents all you need to do is:

1) Scan the doc/s and Save to computer;
2) Add the docs (one or two max at a time might be best) by clicking the 'Attachments and other options' link below the box where you type your message...

Chris

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 January 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »

I agree with Bookbox, you are more likely to get a response by posting small snippets where we can all see them.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk