Author Topic: Mary TODD 1911 census Rochdale  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary TODD 1911 census Rochdale
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 11:29 GMT (UK) »
The Mary Todd birth registered Rochdale Jan-Mar 1903 appears on the LancsBMD site as born 1902, birth registered Wardleworth, Rochdale.  This may mean that she was born too late in December 1902 for her birth to be registered in the Oct-Dec quarter (as happened to both my father and his sister, born Dec 18th and Dec 20th, though in different years), or it may mean that there were 2 Marys, though LancsBMD only mentions the one. I have searched for baptisms in Rochdale churches in and around those years, but have not found one for Mary.  Of course the family may have been Non-Conformist or may have moved from Rochdale.

My apologies if you have already pursued this route.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Have you found Mary and family on the 1939 Register?

added: In 1939 Mary A Taylor(Crossley) and 2 other people are living at 4 Ogden Street Rochdale - the address given on your other post.
I used the free search

If you can get access to the Register, you will be able to see a record for Mary Todd born 1903 living in Rochdale. The free search says
Mary Wolstenholme (Todd) born 1903
underneath it says
?? binns is also on this record
2 more people who are officially closed.

I don't have access to the register and we are not allowed to do look ups but what I have posted is available free.

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yes saw the 1939 register and I know the two BINNS who would have been listed (Mary's two boys to John Eckersley BINNS), though didn't understand the 2 closed people statement to decide whether it was worth pursuing.

As the place of birth is listed as Rochdale it is safe to assume that I have the correct Mary, due to having a definite marriage to James WOLSTENHOLME from her sons Child Migrant papers. So success there.

As for the 1901 Census TODD family, that may well be a possibility if young Harriet had Mary in 1903 and then marries Edwin BIRCH in 1906...which would def lead directly to that 1911 Mary Todd BIRCH reference.

So this how it may look....

•   1901 Census
4 Wrigley Court, Wardleworth
Bridget Todd Head 42 Widow born Rochdale Cotton Ring Spinner
Harriett A Todd   Daughter 18 born Rochdale Cotton Ring Spinner
Ellen Todd   Daughter 18 born Rochdale Cotton Ring Spinner

•   1903 birth
Mary TODD b 1903 Rochdale

•   1906 marriage
Harriet Ann TODD marries Edwin John BIRCH

•   1911 Census
3 House South Lane 4 Court Rochdale
Edmund John Birch   30
Harriet Ann Birch   29
Mary Todd Birch   9 Daughter
John Todd Birch   6 son
Elery Ellen Birch   3
Ellen Todd   29

•   1935 Rochdale County Borough Directory
4 Ogden Street Rochdale
John E BINNS
Miss Mary TODD

•   1939 register
4 Ogden Street Rochdale
 Mary A Taylor(Crossley) and 2 other people

Mary Wolstenholme (Todd) born 1903 Rochdale CB Lancashire
 ?? Binns is also on this record
2 more people who are officially closed.

•   1941 death
John Eckersley BINNS - Rochdale

•   1945 marriage
Mary TODD marries James Edward WOLSTENHOLM 1945

Interesting that Mary is listed as WOLSTENHOLME at the address she shared with John BINNS just 4 years earlier, though didn't marry Edward for another 6 years... it would be interesting to see who was living at that address between 1935 - 1939.

It seems to be unravelling so thank you all for the help.

Fiona

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 01:58 GMT (UK) »

.      Interesting that Mary is listed as WOLSTENHOLME at the address she shared with John BINNS just 4 years earlier, though didn't marry Edward for another 6 years... it would be interesting to see who was living at that address between 1935 - 1939.                   

The 1939 register was updated and used to inform the NHS records up until about 1990. So when a woman married and changed her name the new name was added to the original register, usually in a different colour. So in this case it means that Mary Todd became Mary Wolstenholme at a later date, not that she was Mary Wolstenholme in 1939.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info - always good to know the details so that we don't follow false leads :)

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 10:13 GMT (UK) »
You can have 'closed' records on the 1939 register opened if you have a death certificate to show that the person is not still alive.

Heather

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 10:56 GMT (UK) »
You can have 'closed' records on the 1939 register opened if you have a death certificate to show that the person is not still alive.

Heather

Expensive though if you are not a subscriber to Find My Past as you need to do it through the National Archives and they charge £27.30 for each search plus you also need the death certificate.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk//PaidSearch/FOI1939Register

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 22:20 GMT (UK) »
IF.... Mary Todd BIRCH is one the 3 natural born children of Edmund John BIRCH (as described on the 1911 census) - why would she use the name TODD in 1934 (sons birth certificate)/ 1935 (county borough directory) /1939 (1939 register) /1945 (marriage certificate)?

Scrap that - it has been crossed out under his name but placed under Harriet TODD's name

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
If I'm reading this correctly, Mary Todd was illegitimate and registered as Todd and her mother then married Birch when Mary was about 3 years old? The chances are that he wasn't her natural father. If so, she was probably brought up using the surname Birch. However, when she was old enough to marry etc she used her correct surname of Todd.