Author Topic: Wilson family of Alkington Hall  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson family of Alkington Hall
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Noelle!
Sorry for the late reply. I have only just logged on after several months and don’t receive email notifications for threads I’ve initiated or participated in.

I hit the proverbial brick wall with George Harris I’m afraid as I couldn’t establish who his parents were or even where he was from.

I know he farmed at Aston Hall in Wem and is buried in the churchyard there. He must have been fairly successful to afford such an elaborate tomb chest. I visited Aston Hall and the owner allowed me on to the property to take some photographs. It was ever so interesting to see where he once lived.

I think his father was also called George but I’ll have to double check my papers as I haven’t looked at this line since I posted here. George left a will but this was useless as he didn’t name his wife or children and only referred to them as ‘wife and children’. From memory I think he had an illegitimate daughter.

You seem to have had more success as you know the name of George’s sister. I am descended from George’s son Thomas who was born in Wem.

Would love to know what you have found.

Jay
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson family of Alkington Hall
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 22:46 BST (UK) »
Just had a quick look at the photographs I have and it appears that the tombstone is that of George Harris senior and Mary his wife of Aston Hall. Their daughter Ann is also buried with them and adjacent to this is the headstone of the their son, Thomas.

Jay
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"