Author Topic: Location, Location...But Where?  (Read 8030 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Location, Location...But Where?
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 11 February 21 13:39 GMT (UK) »
That is excellent Jools, really pleased to see that. Yes I remember it now! It was was among photos relating to the Band of Hope in Baker Street, Hull. There is also a group photo of people on  "Giant's Causeway"
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 13 February 21 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Well done everyone.....after 4 years, success.

We have recently moved to Llandudno so after the lockdown restrictions are eased, I will go to Betws-y-Coed and see if I can find some information on the history of the tea rooms and where they were located.

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 13 February 21 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I thought I'd seen somewhere in one of the cuttings that the Riverside Gardens were opposite the Gwydyr Hotel. I can't see it now so maybe imagined it, but the cuttings make clear that they were owned by the same man, and the hotel had a hand in the catering in the gardens.

I wonder if the site might be the area bounded by the A5, Station Road and the railway. At the A5 end it's immediately opposite the hotel, and on Google streetview you can even see a gate in the wall there with 'Gwydyr Hotel' on it, suggesting it's still regarded as the hotel's garden.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 13 February 21 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Great input Chris and Arthur...I really appreciate your time and input and have made notes  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU