Author Topic: Military service 1888 - 1901- help needed  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Military service 1888 - 1901- help needed
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 February 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
You must have read my mind! The last thing  I did when looking at this information last night was to Google the uniforms at the time. Thanks for the explanation about the clasps and the web site details. The organisation that the armed forces was capable of at that time is  amazing - not only the structure of award system but all that recording systematically written using  long-hand.
One last thing ... on the very last cell on his record am I right in thinking it says 'Time expired, belongs to no. 1 depot RFA' does that  mean he didn't collect them? I have attached the relevant piece of the document.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 February 17 10:04 GMT (UK) »
My reading of it is that this was a note saying he had finished his service (the roll was compiled in Jun 01) and that he was last on the books of No 1 Brigade Depot (as per the last entry in his record) so that was where the authorities should look for a forwarding address.  The note "same name and number" looks to me like a cross check that the man on the books of 1 Bde has the same details - pretty efficient!

I found a better photo.  This link is to another Boer War battle, the Battle of Modder River http://www.britishbattles.com/battle-of-modder-river/
   Scroll quite a way down and there is a pic of 18th Battery Royal Field Artillery complete in their Boer War field uniforms.  18 Bty was a sister battery to 20 Bty so essentially identical.  6 officers, about 120 men, 6 guns and just over 100 horses who didn't get in the pic!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 February 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Now that explanation about the note on the end makes much more sense - thank you. I can quite understand the need for all these abbreviations when one considers the vast number of records they were updating.
I love the photo! Thank you for that - I do like to put photographs into my writing as they can say so much more than words.