Author Topic: Logans of Ayrshire - We are visiting Scotland this summer  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Logans of Ayrshire - We are visiting Scotland this summer
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 February 17 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
Welcome to Rootschat. You’ll probably be aware of much of the information at the following links – http://www.rampantscotland.com/clans/blclanlogan.htm and https://www.scotweb.co.uk/info/logan .  There is mention there of a Clan Logan but the link doesn’t work and I haven’t seen much information about it as a webpage except that it is regarded by many as an armigerous clan.  Other people may know better.

As Jeanne says, Cumnock is a Logan centre in Ayrshire.  More specifically, the village of Logan (due east of Cumnock) is sometimes regarded as the real Logan centre.  Having said that, the Ayrshire baillerie of Cunningham, near Stewarton (where Thurbrand came from) was an ancient 12th and 13th century estate.

But I think there are probably several twigs of the so-called ‘Restalrig’ branch in Ayrshire.  For example, I believe I have traced some of my own ancestors back to John Logan (c1670-1740), my 8th g-grandfather, who was apparently a farmer in the Kilbirnie area of Ayrshire.  There are probably other twigs that may include those of your ancestors who moved to Northern Ireland.

Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline johnfromkentucky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 February 17 18:32 GMT (UK) »
VERY much appreciate it Ian.  I have seen the info on the first link, but the second link didn't work.  Also you mentioned Cunningham, one of the Logan's (Thorbrand de Logan, baron of Gougar in Cunninghame) born in 1272 shows Gougar/Grugar/Grougar/??  I've seen it spelled every possible way.

EDITED :  I just reread your comment and say that you also named Thorbrand.  Didn't see that originally :)

My 7th GGrandfather was John Logan born in Ayrshire about the same time as yours but I've always questioned the dates I have (1674-1677) as he'd be 103 when he died.  He moved to Ireland and died there.

I've attached a small snippet of a piece of the lineage I have.  Robert is highlighted because he's the one that came to America, just don't know exactly when.  John or his father came to Ayrshire from Edinburgh area.  Again thank you all for any info.

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 February 17 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I'll have a look at that, John.

The location today called Grougar Mains still exists. It is about one or 2 miles east-north-east of Kilmarnock. In around 1857 it was described as a farmhouse called Grougar Mains (or Grugar, or Mains of Grougar). It was sold to William Blane in around 1777 and there are tax records for his holding from around then. This link is useful background to the Grougar barony and land -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scottish_feudal_barony_of_Grougar

Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline johnfromkentucky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 February 17 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ian!!!

Offline johnfromkentucky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 February 17 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Ian (or anyone :)) would you know perhaps where the 13th/14th century Logans are buried (Thorbrand, Thomas de Logan, Adam de Logan, Sir Robert of Gougar/Grougar)?  I have two churches In Edinburgh where the later Logans are buried but not in Ayrshire/Cunninghame, etc