Author Topic: Mentioning family research on a CV  (Read 10557 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mentioning family research on a CV
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 02 March 17 06:13 GMT (UK) »
point out that while it is a hobby, it has helped you hone in on a subject by way of researching a subject. such as if it is a science you would be interested in finding more than one mention of the research ensuring that you find more than one aspect of that subject by more than one scientist and the difference found between their results and how that helps the student view things from different angles./ or aspects.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 09 March 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I have always included a section at the end of my c.v. headed "hobbies and interests", but it is exceedingly terse. It is there to show that I am a well-rounded individual with a variety of interests outside the workplace. I do not include it in the expectation that they will help me directly to obtain any particular job; but they do give the interviewer something they can ask me about if there is something there that catches their eye, and I can then elaborate on it with answers designed to show how it promotes the very qualities that they should be looking for.

The exact format of the entry has varied over time, but currently it says:

Mountain walking and wilderness expeditions (professionally qualified Mountain Leader); keeping and riding horses; legal history (life member of the Selden Society); railway history and modelling (convenor of the N Gauge Society's Era 1 & 2 Group); chess; family history research.

There will, of course, be individuals who hold prejudices about most if not all of those activities. So be it. If they raise them with me at interview then I am more than able to defend my corner. And if they decide against me on the basis of their prejudices without having raised them at interview, then they're not the sort of person I would wish to be working for in any event, and I reckon I've had a lucky escape!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline drhewitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 05 May 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
If you were applying for a job as an heir hunter or in the field of probate and estates it would be worth it.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 05 May 17 17:48 BST (UK) »
... perhaps there are not enough of those around to be worthwhile?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 05 May 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
I have mentioned it on a CV.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 06 May 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
... go on: did you get the job?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 06 May 17 15:08 BST (UK) »
... go on: did you get the job?
Unfortunately no. It was a job as a part time archivist at a office in London. I cannot remember exactly but I think it was preserving the history of a certain London building.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 06 May 17 15:25 BST (UK) »
Well ... it could have been relevant there.
Early on in this topic, many were suggesting family research went on a cv for almost any job.
That was where I had my reservations, when it could not have been relevant, and I still prefer to see relevant information on a cv, and not have to plough through pages about someone's love of dog walking, flower arranging or cake baking if it's not relevant to the job being sought.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 07 May 17 00:25 BST (UK) »
Agree, Yorky.  Though sometimes a person's hobbies / interests can give you an insight into their personality which may not otherwise be evident in the interview, but could have bearing on the job, or how they will interact with other staff, etc.

I found a person who said they had no hobbies also had little imagination, and often very inflexible in their attitude to life, work, etc..

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)