Author Topic: Jenkins or Watkins Merthyr Tydfil  (Read 993 times)

Offline stdavidsday1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jenkins or Watkins Merthyr Tydfil
« on: Monday 06 February 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »

I have just found an obituary notice online in old newspapers  for                                                                                Edmund Jenkins    died 5th November 1864 age 76  at Blaen-bargoed Farm near Dowlais
I have been researching Watkins families
I have Edmund Watkins farmer  died 5th november 1864 age 75 he was from Cwmbargoed Farm which was also Blaenbargoed Farm merthyr tydfil
The Watkins families have farmed these two farms from 1812 upto 1920s
I cannot find an Edmund Jenkins is it possible this is my Edmund Watkins
strangely before he was married 1818 to Margaret Llewelyn they named son Gregory Jenkin born 1817
thanks for any help
christine

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkins or Watkins Merthyr Tydfil
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 17 15:54 GMT (UK) »
There is no death registration on freebmd in the December qtr 1864 for Edmund Jenkins

There is an entry Indexed as Edmuna Watkins registerd in Merthyr T

www.freebmd.org.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
There is a probate record for an Edmund Watkins (or Wotkins) late of Cwmbargoed Farm died 8th November 1864, leaving less than £300. The witness was Isaac Watkins son of Edmund. The probate was made 8 April 1865.

This probate was on a tree on An..ty.  This tree also shows the baptism record for Gregory showing the fathers name Edmund Jenkins of Cwmbargoed, Farmer.  Was this a mistake of name or perhaps because they were not married just muddied the water a bit?  BUT, I see that Edmund Watkins father was (from the online tree) Jenkin Watkins!

Gregory was on the 1841 census with his parents and shown as Watkins.

Could'nt find death on freebmd for either Edmund Watkins or Jenkins but there is a record:

Edmund Watkins
England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007
Name   Edmund Watkins
Event Type   Death
Registration Quarter   Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year   1864
Registration District   Merthyr Tydfil
County   Glamorganshire
Event Place   Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorganshire, Wales
Volume   11A
Page   244
Line Number   20

This is the same details as the Edmuna that CaroleW referred to.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline stdavidsday1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello
   Thank you Carole W  and RayDen
I think the two obituary notice's for Edmund Watkins buried 5th nov 1864 also Edmund Jenkins 5th Nov 1864 around same age and both farms were in Watkins family
I guess the father Jenkin Watkin had used Jenkins and also Watkins as family name
makes it a bit difficult finding any more information especially on Jenkin Watkin Died 1829 left will 1830 to wife   Anne  children    Thomas  Mary  Margaret  Edmund  and John
thanks again Christine

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Christine, there are 2 notices of Edmund Jenkins death on the 18th November.  One in the Cardiff & Merthyr Guardian which gives a date of 6 November, and one in the Cardiff Times which gives a date of 5 Nov.

There is also a report in the Cardiff & Merthyr Guardian on the 29th July 1864 where a Edmund Watkins age 75 years and had lived all his life at Cwm Bargoed was a witness in a land dispute.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]