Author Topic: 1939 register - closing an open identity  (Read 15698 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register - closing an open identity
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Think I will contact FindMyPast! Temped to attach a photo of mil in her nursing home.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Try Jen's approach - you may have to phone them though. They are in the wrong under the 100 year rule.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Definitely contact them.

I wasn't asked for any proof. I simply emailed them and I made it clear that I felt the onus was on them to provide me with the evidence they had used.

Obviously, they had no evidence at all!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I've discovered my mother in law  is on the 1939 register, one of the recently opened identities.  The only problem is she is still living and I know my husband isn't too happy that it's viewable.

Looking on FindMyPast on how to close a person's details I need a recent document with her dob and her signature. well that's not so easy when the person in question is approaching 97 and has never driven and her last passport was over 40 years ago and long gone.  I am in possession of all her paperwork, and the only thing that has both signature and dob is a financial document which I do not want to send. She can still write  her signature, just about but of course I don't want to worry her.

The stupid thing is her husband's details are still closed and he has been gone for over 40 years!

anyone had success at closing an open identity without said signed document?

As the discussion is about claiming "rights" to have a record closed you or your husband is (by not asking his mother if she is concerned about the information being available) overiding her rights to have the record kept open, rather ironic.

Of course your mother-in-law may want her record closed but you give us no insight into what her views are just what your and your husband's views are.

FindMyPast have acted correctly in this situation.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Definitely contact them.

I wasn't asked for any proof. I simply emailed them and I made it clear that I felt the onus was on them to provide me with the evidence they had used.

Obviously, they had no evidence at all!

Legally FindMyPast should not have discussed the case with you at all

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I've discovered my mother in law  is on the 1939 register, one of the recently opened identities.  The only problem is she is still living and I know my husband isn't too happy that it's viewable.

Looking on FindMyPast on how to close a person's details I need a recent document with her dob and her signature. well that's not so easy when the person in question is approaching 97 and has never driven and her last passport was over 40 years ago and long gone.  I am in possession of all her paperwork, and the only thing that has both signature and dob is a financial document which I do not want to send. She can still write  her signature, just about but of course I don't want to worry her.

The stupid thing is her husband's details are still closed and he has been gone for over 40 years!

anyone had success at closing an open identity without said signed document?

As the discussion is about claiming "rights" to have a record closed you or your husband is (by not asking his mother if she is concerned about the information being available) overiding her rights to have the record kept open, rather ironic.

Of course your mother-in-law may want her record closed but you give us no insight into what her views are just what your and your husband's views are.

FindMyPast have acted correctly in this situation.

Cheers
Guy

I think you are being unnecessarily judgemental....I think a son has the right to protect his 97 year old Mother by requesting closure if he thinks it's in her best interests. He may have a very good reason for his actions.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »

Not only did they discuss it, they apologised for their error.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 14:03 GMT (UK) »
I agree Carol, for all we know, he may have Power of Attorney and have every right to make the decision in his mother's interests.

As I see it, it doesn't matter who asks for it to be closed, FindMyPast are in the wrong as they obviously haven't checked whether she has died before opening it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 14:26 GMT (UK) »

Not only did they discuss it, they apologised for their error.

Just to clarify, at no time did I actually ask for my aunts record to be re-closed.

I simply contacted FindMyPast and said I was most interested to discover what evidence they had used to open her record, since I had spoken to her only a couple of days previously and she was most definitely alive and kicking. They replied that they would look into it, and a couple of days later the record was closed.