Author Topic: Annie Bell Wannan born 1909  (Read 9686 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Bell Wannan born 1909
« Reply #63 on: Monday 13 February 17 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Not definitive, but it's looking very likely that Janette Berte Wannan was Annie's daughter and Annie later did marry James Rafferty.

I visited the Dundee Library this afternoon and trawled through some microfilms of the Courier and Advertiser.  The marriage announcement and an accompanying article about Janette's wedding dress both refer to her as "daughter of Mrs James Rafferty, Toronto ..." and "the daughter of Mrs J. Rafferty, Toronto ..." respectively.

Another article in an adjacent column to the marriage announcement made me laugh, and, I think, may have involved Janette's wedding:
"Wedding guests join the queue
Wedding guests had to "queue up" at St Andrew's Church, Dundee, on Saturday.
Rev. T. R. S. Campbell married a couple at the Lynorne Guest House, Roseangle, at 1.30 and was due to carry out another ceremony at the church at 1.45.
This wedding was delayed about 15 minutes, with the result that most of the guests for number three wedding had arrived at the church before number two was finished.  The guests waited in the church hall.
As the bride and groom, attendants and guests of the delayed wedding walked from the church to their cars number three bride and her attendants arrived.
Not to complicate matters further, however, her taxi drove on and returned when the other party had gone."

Having once met the jovial reverend gentleman, in his latter years, I can imagine the scene of confusion and will say no more  ;)

I have decided to bring forward my visit to the Records Office in Edinburgh to the middle of this week when I will get copies of Janette's marriage and death from the relevant registers with the hope that Annie is better mentioned.  Both will (or should) show her mother's maiden surname.

Watch this space ...  :)

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 09:16 GMT (UK) »
The obituary for another sister May Margaret nee Wannan Littlewood wife of Thomas Littlewood might help -
May Margaret Wannan - 1907–2001 - born 1907 - Forgan, Fife, Scotland passed away 20 March 2001 - Dundee, Angus, Scotland.
or brother Andrew Wannan -  1900–1971 born 27 March 1900 - Forgan, Fife, Scotland passed away 16 May 1971 - Newport on Tay, Fife, Scotland
Obituary in the Courier and Advertiser 17 May 1971 - page 4
Sandra

Hi Sandra

I searched these, and others, yesterday in the Dundee Library but there was no mention of Annie in any of them [See my previous post above]

Tomorrow I will be in the Records  Office in Edinburgh and hope to resolve this  ;)

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 19:23 GMT (UK) »
SUCCESS  :D

A long day today, but a successful one, I'm happy to report.

The Register of Marriage for Janette Berte Wannan formerly DINNEL, born 2 March 1931, shows her parents as Arthur Dinnel, a motor engineer (deceased) and Annie Bell Dinnel now Rafferty, m.s. Wannan.  The Register of Death for her simply gives her mother Ann Wannan or Rafferty (deceased).

No helpful occupations for her parents to make the Canadian Census search any easier.

Janette died on 18 October 2004 in the Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen and her husband Harry Malcolm predeceased her on 11 August 1982 at Woodend Hospital, Aberdeen.

Don't you just love it when an act comes together?  ;)

Chiad Fhear

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
What a great result! Very pleased for you.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 16 February 17 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks PB  :)

Chiad Fhear

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 17 February 17 03:46 GMT (UK) »
What a great result! Very pleased for you.

x2

Nothing better than breaking down a brick wall.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 17 February 17 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jacquie  :)

I found details of Janette and Harry's 2 children as well

Chiad Fhear

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 17 February 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »

Excellent result - nice to knock down those brick walls. 

Did you find the death of William Carson ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 17 February 17 15:27 GMT (UK) »
... Did you find the death of William Carson ?
Sandra

Which one, Sandra?

Janette Marshall Wannan's (first) husband - William Morris Carson - died 29 May 1928 in Kirkcaldy, Fife (suicide).  I got the Register of Death for him on Wednesday.  Their son, William Morris Carson, born 16 April 1922, in Kirkcaldy (have to be careful here) is a Seaman and found on 20 October 1942 on a Border Crossing from Halifax, Nova Scotia to the USA at Port Huron, Michigan "to resume domicile in U.S."  His mother was residing at 649 Wrightwood Avenue, Michigan, Illinois.  My cousin in Brisbane has last found him submitting a Petition for Naturalization to the District Court of the United States at London, Kentucky on 3 March 1967.

There doesn't seem to be a SSD for him.

Chiad Fhear