Author Topic: Burial records  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Jemmajane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial records
« on: Saturday 11 February 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this so bear with me. My biological father passed away in 94 at 27, we never met unfortunately. I am looking for a way to find information that may help me find family members. I would like to find his grave if possible. He died on 28/4/1994 of carbon monoxide poisoning, inquest was held on 6/7/1994. His date of birth is 23/1/1967. David Mark Johnston.

Offline zenobia37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burial records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 17 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, looking at the death index it looks like your father died in the Leeds area. Is that right, and if so do you know where he lived at the time? This might help work out where he was buried - there is a list of local cemeteries on the Leeds City Council website and ways to find check, if there is a location in mind. 

Because he was quite young, you won't find much information on family history websites but as you know his name and date of birth, you could order his birth certificate (and marriage certificate if he was married), either from the office where it was registered or online from the General Register Office website. His birth certifcate will tell you his parents names if you don't know them.

I hope this helps - you could also have a look in local newpapers which are normally kept at the local libraries.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 17 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to Rootschat.   :)

There is a birth matching the details you have given in GRO Births Abroad; B.A.O.R in Hanover, Germany.

You can buy a copy of the certificate from GRO using these details:

David Mark Johnston, 23/1/1967, mother Slack, volume F, page 124.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Cost is £9.25, posted worldwide and usually arrive in 7-10 days.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 17 12:58 GMT (UK) »
And a possible marriage 1966 Jun quarter on freebmd.org for male Johnston & female Slack in PONTEFRACT    2C   1001

ADDED: When you have made 2 more posts Jemmajane, you will be able to make and receive personal messages [pm's] off forum where names of living people can be mentioned. 
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline zenobia37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 17 13:04 GMT (UK) »
There is also a birth of a David Mark Johnston in Leek, Staffordshire registered in 1966 with mother's maiden name Huyton. It's not impossible for the occasional mistake to creep in with registration details (i.e. birth year) so if you have reason to be sure he was born in England I wouldn't rule that out, but nanny jan has probably found the right one.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 February 17 14:20 GMT (UK) »
If you have a copy of his death certificate showing his last address you might be able to narrow down a likely cemetery using this guide:

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/residents/Pages/Find-cemeteries-and-crematoria.aspx

Are you certain there was a burial and not a cremation?
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jemmajane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 February 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your time, yes he was born in Germany as it says so on my birth certificate. He lived in the greenside walk area of Leeds at the time of his death. Apparently the address no longer exists, it used to be maisonettes that were knocked down around 15 years ago. I would like to know where he's buried so I can pay my respects and also a photo would be nice considering we never got to meet! Thank you all for your input,  I have a few more leads now 😊

Offline Jemmajane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 February 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »
So far I have requested the inquest details which I am currently waiting on. I have emailed Leeds library with an inquiry to do a search of local newspapers. I know some folks might think it's a waste of time since he's dead already but there is an entire side of my heritage that I have no idea about. Probably family still alive too, maybe even siblings. I'm 33 next week its about time I knew. Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated 😘

Offline Jemmajane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 February 17 15:07 GMT (UK) »
It could have been a cremation I literally have no idea. My search seems to have started and finished with the death certificate.