Author Topic: Freeserve Orange and Wanadoo Email Closure  (Read 24647 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Freeserve Orange and Wanadoo Email Closure
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 February 17 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trystan, simply explained for us non techies 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 February 17 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Deirdre,

Glad it's of some help anyhow. Thankfully it's easy to check that all your old emails will still be there before they pull the plug anyhow. :)

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trystan, that's a big help!

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 11:07 GMT (UK) »
It's been a week since I posted this message, I wonder how those of you with these email addresses have got on so far in replacing them, or if you need any help at all?

Trystan
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trystan, i've changed my address on a number of my regular / important emails as well as my account details on Ancestry and FindMyPast 😀. Am going through my emails to see if there are any others i need to update but it could be a good chance for a clean out!! So far so good (but still nothing from EE to tell me that it's going and i guess there are quite a few people using these addresses).
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 11:54 GMT (UK) »
A word of warning to anyone with an fsmail/orange email address - DON'T expect any help from customer services, follow Trystan's instructions and make sure you have your emails saved on Outlook, and make a copy of your address book too. My parents had an fsmail account which was suddenly "locked" a few months back, and despite constant phone calls and emails to customer services, they didn't get any help and their account was permanently deleted.

From this experience, it doesn't surprise me that their users heard about the closure from RootsChat first! :)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Well feel free to share this topic with others and spread the word.  :)

There are a lot of people out there using Freeserve, Orange and Wanadoo email addresses. They're in for a very disappointing shock if they're not been informed of the closure of their emails.

Trystan

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 13:29 GMT (UK) »
We have Mozilla Thunderbird on the laptop which is what hubby uses for his BT emails but I don't think I can put that on my tablet - can I? And even if I could, I assume it would only save the emails from the date of installation, not old ones?

Trystan - help!

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Just a suggestion and may not be technically watertight, but for any email account, if you use Outlook/ Thunderbird or similar on your computer, do the following test.  Disconnect your computer from the internet (make sure it's off by trying to load a web page such as BBC.co.uk or even rootschat), then launch the email program and see if you can view all your saved e-mail messages.  If you can, then you should be able to assume they are stored locally.  (Test a few messages with attachments to make sure the attachments are saved locally as well)

As far as the supplier not notifying account holders, that seems to be common in these circumstances and it should be a concern for organisations like Which? that claim to be consumer champions.  If they can demand your right to change mobile phone supplier and keep the phone number, why aren't they demanding the same with email?

Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will: