Author Topic: Daniel Watson Richardson and Eleanor Reed of Longbenton  (Read 7429 times)

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Watson Richardson and Eleanor Reed of Longbenton
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:16 GMT (UK) »
That birth year of 1816 also has her marrying George in 1822 aged 8
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 30 December 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »
On the Brenkley census of 1851, George Richardson place of birth appears in the centre of this screen shot. How would you interpret this, it looks like ?K N. Is it meant to mean not known, or something else do you think?
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 30 December 17 18:22 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 census Brenkley, next door to widowed George Richardson, daughter Ann and son Daniel Watson Richardson, is a Swinney Family. Includes an unmarried daughter Sarah, aged 38, born Woodhorn.

A marriage in Newcastle, 1858, George Richardson and one of two possible brides is Sarah Swinhoe.

1861 census, Sandy Ford, Bolam,
George Richardson, 56, Farm Labourer, b. Mitford,
Sarah Richardson, 50, wife, b. Woodhorn.
RG9/3852/53/6

By 1871 Sarah is widowed, still living in Bolam, transcribed as Eichardson on you know what, living with Swinhoe relatives.

Needs more work but marriage cert will give Georges Fathers name and occupation, assuming he declared it.

There is a baptism of a George Richardson in Mitford, born 30 Nov 1799, baptized 22 Dec 1799. Parents Daniel Richardson and his wife Isabel, formerly Allison, of Benridge, 3rd son, father Native of Longbenton, mother native of Longhoughton.

A bit older than your George ages on census, but Daniel and Isabel have another son Daniel Richardson baptized 1805 Longhorsley.

In 1861 census, your Daniel Watson Richardson appears to be working for this Daniel Richardson. Daniel Richardson, age 56, Farmer of 65 acres at Bedlington Lane Farm, where your Daniel, listed as Watson Richardson, presumably to differentiate him from the Farmer, is working as a Farm Labourer.

Alan.
If my George is the same George to marry Sarah after he is widowed, it’s interesting he moved to Bolam. I understand it’s a very small place. Daniel Watson Richardson’s wife Ellen / Eleanor Reed possibly was baptised there along with her siblings (see previous comments on this thread); so this is George’s daughter in law, but I don’t think the Reeds stayed there or were there for long (if it is the correct Reeds)
I’ve checked 1861 census and when George was living there with new wife Sarah, there were no Reeds living in Bolam.
I’m wondering if there’s some connection, perhaps this is how Daniel and Eleanor met...

If I can confirm that the 1799 Mitford George IS my George then that will be a HUGE breakthrough as there are extended trees and links on Ancestry for him. Reassuringly, none of the existing trees have further information about what happened to him after birth, spouses etc, so it just could be him...

Daughter Ann Richardson / Gallon does look correct. Thank you for that. The existing trees x2 on Ancestry for Thomas Gallon and Ann seem to have got the wrong Ann identified so don’t give any pointers re her parents.

Daniels mother and George’s first wife remains a mystery. Names as Jane in several places and as Watson in one, I’m not getting any leads. The other witness at Daniel and Eleanor’s Wedding was a Sarah Watson, not sure how she fits in...

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 30 December 17 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Big breakthrough! Thank you

The mysteriously missing Daniel Watson Richardson, aged 3, on the 1841 census is appearing on the census in the household of his Uncle, Daniel Richardson. Thank you Alan. I thought I'd check the 1841 census as he appeared with his family as living and working on his Uncle Daniels farm in 1861. Sure enough, there is a 3 year old Daniel on the census. This has to be the same person.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 01 January 18 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Big breakthrough! Thank you

The mysteriously missing Daniel Watson Richardson, aged 3, on the 1841 census is appearing on the census in the household of his Uncle, Daniel Richardson. Thank you Alan. I thought I'd check the 1841 census as he appeared with his family as living and working on his Uncle Daniels farm in 1861. Sure enough, there is a 3 year old Daniel on the census. This has to be the same person.

Only issue now is he also appears on the 1851 census with his uncle, but I have already found an 1851 census where he is with his widowed father George and sister Ann, and this is defiantly him, he’s down as Daniel Watson Richardson on the census there and everything else fits.
Thoughts anyone? Are the two Daniels separate individual shows who happen to have the same birth year or are they one and the same and he has appeared in both census as an error as both households listed him as being there?

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 06 January 18 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Meldon parish records have the following Reed baptisms

21 June 1818   Elizabeth daughter of William and Margaret Reed, labourer of Lane House
25 March 1821   John son of William and Margaret Reed, hind of Meldon Lane House
12 May 1823   Joseph son of William and Margaret Reed, hind of Lane House
28 Aug. 1825   Susannah daughter of William and Margaret Reed, labourer of Meldon
22 June 1828   Margaret daughter of William and Margaret Reed, labourer of Meldon
1 May 1831   Ellen daughter of William and Susannah Reed, labourer of Meldon

I’m certain that this last entry is an error and that her mother was also Margaret.  Firstly the Northumberland marriage index 1813 – 1837 shows no William Reed being married to a Susannah and also the census record for 1851 still names Margaret as William’s wife so there is no indication that she died and he remarried.

Do any of these names crop up in the family?

Christine
Christine, I can’t locate this 1851 census with William and Margaret on, can you let me know where they were living and who was in the household so I can find it please. I’m feeling pretty useless, is it because it’s not on Ancestry?

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 06 January 18 08:45 GMT (UK) »
I start with Find my Past when it comes to census records as they give you exactly what you ask for, unlike Ancestry  :-\

You will find them listed as REID living at Fawdenhouse, Morpeth.  Ref. HO107/2418

Christine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 06 January 18 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I start with Find my Past when it comes to census records as they give you exactly what you ask for, unlike Ancestry  :-\

You will find them listed as REID living at Fawdenhouse, Morpeth.  Ref. HO107/2418

Christine
Thanks Christine, found it. With Find my Past do you require a subscription for the information you are accessing there?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 06 January 18 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Meldon parish records have the following Reed baptisms

21 June 1818   Elizabeth daughter of William and Margaret Reed, labourer of Lane House
25 March 1821   John son of William and Margaret Reed, hind of Meldon Lane House
12 May 1823   Joseph son of William and Margaret Reed, hind of Lane House
28 Aug. 1825   Susannah daughter of William and Margaret Reed, labourer of Meldon
22 June 1828   Margaret daughter of William and Margaret Reed, labourer of Meldon
1 May 1831   Ellen daughter of William and Susannah Reed, labourer of Meldon

I’m certain that this last entry is an error and that her mother was also Margaret.  Firstly the Northumberland marriage index 1813 – 1837 shows no William Reed being married to a Susannah and also the census record for 1851 still names Margaret as William’s wife so there is no indication that she died and he remarried.

Do any of these names crop up in the family?

Christine

New thread started here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=785191.msg6402651#msg6402651

I thought Christine had actually seen the parish register, which is where she found these entries?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk