Author Topic: Francis Bell born Scotland ca 1660-1665  (Read 2055 times)

Offline thebells

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Bell born Scotland ca 1660-1665
« on: Wednesday 15 February 17 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I have found quite a few old (10+ years) posts about Francis Bell who lived in North Petherton, Somerset, England. He was allegedly born in Scotland and married Elizabeth Speede in North Petherton in 1692. In the old posts it was suggested he may have been from Hawick, Supplebank or Cleughheads in Scotland. Has anybody found him definitively?

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Bell born Scotland ca 1660-1665
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 February 17 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi .......... I must have missed some posts which you mention.
Would you please let me know about you comment;
" In the old posts it was suggested he may have been from Hawick, Supplebank or Cleughheads in Scotland."
as I cant recall any of them.
Joe 
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline thebells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 17 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Joe - Ruskie has already found the posts I was referring to and it turns out they were from you. Have you made any progress on Francis Bell? I am also interested in your comment in one post that Elizabeth was a minor who was pregnant when she married Francis in 1692. But she was born in February 1668 so she would have been 24 when married. Her eldest child William was born in 1693 but she might have lost a first baby. Do you have a source for the pregnant when wed comment? I am a direct descendant of Francis Bell.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 February 17 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I have just gone back to my early records and have the following which were taken from the original;
Francis Bell married 25 Feb 1693 Elizabeth Speed of Taunton Parish a minor and daughter of Edith Speed (widow otp) he was a Scotchman (sic) comment 'Pregnant when wed'.
Searching further I found (via IGI) a marriage of John Speed to Edith Tucker 1665 and baptism of daughter Elizabeth Speed born June 19 1668 both at North Petherton.
This confirms the existence of Edith but does not meet the the (minor) age requirements unless the first daughter Elizabeth died and she had a second and named her Elizabeth too which was common practice and for us ........more searching.
Joe   ;) ;)
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 February 17 00:58 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=57223.msg1193040#msg1193040

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714425.msg5581510#msg5581510

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=155969.msg6170475#msg6170475
Thanks Ruskie ...... my memory is not what it used to be..... also my memory is not what it used to be  ::) ::) :D

;D But I see your sense of humour is still very sharp. :D

This thread caught my eye because I have a Francis Bell in one of my research lines - he is Scottish ..... but I can't remember where he is from (but he is a lot more recent than the 1600s). :)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 February 17 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Joe - Ruskie has already found the posts I was referring to and it turns out they were from you. Have you made any progress on Francis Bell? I am also interested in your comment in one post that Elizabeth was a minor who was pregnant when she married Francis in 1692. But she was born in February 1668 so she would have been 24 when married. Her eldest child William was born in 1693 but she might have lost a first baby. Do you have a source for the pregnant when wed comment? I am a direct descendant of Francis Bell.
I do trust that this portion of a spreadsheet comes out for you if not can someone tell me how to do it?
1st name   last name      Date         Father   Mother   Partner   Parish/Address   Witnesses      Comments
Elizabeth   Bell   c   1684   Mar-22   daugh   George         North Petherton         
Ann   Speed   c   1693   Mar-20   daugh   John   Patience      North Petherton         
William   Bell   c   1693   Jun-23   son   Francis   Elizabeth      North Petherton         
Francis   Bell   m   1693   Feb-25            Elizabeth Speed   Taunton / otp   minor = d of Edith Speed widow otp   Scotchman   (pregnant when wed)
John   Speed   c   1695   May-08   son   John   Patience      North Petherton         
Elizabeth   Bell   c   1696   Mar-02   daugh   Francis   Elizabeth      North Petherton         
Robert   Bell   c   1698   Sep-13   son   Francis   Elizabeth      North Petherton         
Thomas   Speed   c   1700   Jan-15   son   John   Patience      North Petherton         
John   Bell   b   1700   Aug-15   son   Francis         North Petherton         
Thomas   Bell   b   1700   Aug-15   son   Francis         North Petherton         

Well it seems to have changed a little ........ perhaps a little more than a little  :o :o
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 February 17 02:10 GMT (UK) »
and from another spreadsheet confirmation of the existence of Edith Tucker and her daughter
Elizabeth   Speed   c   1668   Jun-19      John   Edith Tucker      North Petherton   (IGI)      
John   Speed   m   1665   Jan-08            Edith Tucker   North Petherton   (IGI)      
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia