Author Topic: St Aidan's church Gateshead  (Read 6593 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Aidan's church Gateshead
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 February 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Don't worry about the thread this is on. The reason I asked the moderators to consider moving it was that if a thread is in a completed area, then fewer people will look at it and so you get less offers of help that's all!
For those of you looking for them in 1901 census, they are indexed as Spencer and not Spence on ancestry. They are living at 1 Davidson Terrace Gateshead.
North East of England

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 February 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a death of a William Spence age 85 in June quarter of 1953.
Ref is Gateshead 1a 705. This would tie in with a date of birth in 1868.
The date of 1868 ties in with both the 1901 census and the 1911 census.
If you ordered the death cert, it would state the name of the informant, who may or may not be a family member and that would help you decide if this was your relations death cert.
You would have to buy the marriage cert we referred to earlier to confirm that was your relative.

What is it that you are really looking for? Just the date of death or more than that?
North East of England

Offline Kirsty Spence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 February 17 15:52 GMT (UK) »
That's ok! I thought I was in trouble for posting it in wrong thread and it was going to be deleted haha! Thanks for the death and the feedback to why I needed help on the census. I'm really trying to trace my family tree back. I knew William was born south church, bishop Auckland but there was more than one William Spence born there around the same time so I need info to try and figure out which one it was to find the next generation. Also if they passed away at st Aidan's where would they be burried? The church is no longer there and I'm not sure it had a burial ground and if not then where were they burried as a lot of churches link to bensham but not st Aidan's links to bensham from what I can see. Thank you I really appreciate the help with this x

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 February 17 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Trying to narrow down the year of death. You last have him alive in 1911.

According to the Absent Voters Roll for Gateshead 1918,
John Spence , Pte 41508 1st North Staffs
Robert W Spence, Corp 28748, MGC
were absent from the household at 170 Marian St, Bensham

They look likely for the sons of William and Ann(ie)

1922 Electoral roll for 170 Marian St
Annie Spence (qualifying by Husband's occupation)
William Spence (qualifying by Residence and Occupation)
John Spence ((qualifying by Residence)

all 3 still at Marian St. for 1925, 1929, 1930, 1931 Electoral Rolls

My access stops at 1931 so can't check later years, but if the WW1 service for the two sons checks out then your William and Ann(ie) were still around in 1931.

Boo

Offline Kirsty Spence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 February 17 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your input. I'm not too sure that this links as Robert was always on documents as Robert William alder Spence (Williams son) and he (Robert) had moved to Alnwick by 1918 as that's when my grandad was born he was a grocery worker all his life and his wife Jane worked at Alnwick castle before moving to The Green, Chester le Street. I think I have came across another family similar in the Gateshead area in which I don't think is mine. I'm new to this so I could be wrong about some things but I definitely know Robert was residing at Alnwick when my grandad was born in 1918 as have birth and baptism cert for him x

Offline Kirsty Spence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 February 17 16:33 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know that when Robert William alder Spence moves to Alnwick his parents were still at St Aidan's Gateshead. X

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 February 17 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Though its not writ in stone, I wouldn't discount it out of hand.

I'd expect Robert William Alder Spence would have been in the forces in WW1, grocery work was not classed as an exempt occupation, though I suppose he could have been medically unfit.

If his wife's maiden name was Lawson then they married in the June Quarter in Alnwick, the information that he was a serving soldier, absent from Marian St., may well have been given prior to his marriage. The baby was registered in the Dec quarter of 1918 and by then the father could have been discharged from the army.

Boo

Offline Kirsty Spence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 February 17 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Robert William alder spences wife was a Lawson. The child you mention is my grandad b 3/12/1918 William Lawson Spence. It's further back I'm needing info for ie William Spence b 1885,  wife Anne Alder and his parents x

Offline Kirsty Spence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 February 17 19:27 GMT (UK) »
I've tried searching for the 2 men that you named in the forces to see if there's any links. I can't find them. I do remember vaguely seeing another family in Gateshead with a Robert and a William so maybe it's that family as I can't seem to find them to see if there age etc matches up x