Author Topic: peter harnett 1742 kent  (Read 3817 times)

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: peter harnett 1742 kent
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 February 17 13:58 GMT (UK) »
well i think i m a bit of a romanic, and put my own seel on what the name conjures up lol, i know my dads line were poor, but with names like mary margaret, suzannah and louisa they sound posh

its also confusing the way families use the same names over and over, i know i as a mother would never use a dead childs name for another child in  case it brought bad luck and the same thing happened again, and i d never use the same name that was already in use from my sister or cousins, thats just confusing

i know the same names popping up helps a bit once you see a pattern emerging, but with the same names being popular with all families you can end up going down the wrong branch

also if you dont know the place where your family are from you dont realize the distance from place to place, having to google map everytime to see whether the places are near enough to get to by horse n cart etc

well its nice talking to you, cathie

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 March 17 15:47 GMT (UK) »
hi

im stuck again, am now trying to find out about elizabeth finnis, who married peter harnett 1742 on 7/4/1768, i know this to be correct, it says he s from parish ( lydden) she from coldred,, witness s robert finnis and susanne botcher

but there s 2 elizabeth finnis s, one born acrise 12/2/1737 parents henry finnis and mary court, who i thought were the right ones a couple of years ago, but now due to the marriage record im thinking that its more likely to be the elizabeth finnis born 25/5/1747 sutton by dover parents robert finnis ( witness at marriage ) and mary ??, though on marriage record it says born coldred, would that be right to say if bapt record says sutton by dover ??

the problem i now have is that i cant find a marriage record for robert finnis and a mary ?? anywhere :(

also i was wondering if there s any way you can tell if the robert finnis born 1714- 1809 is the one that lived at finnis hill, was a timber merchant and was a mayor of dover 1796-7 and of hythe and got left property

Finnis, Robert, possesses a part
of Sotmere MANOR, in Ca=
pell, 146.

after some intermediate owners, it was sold to
Spencer, in which name it seems to have been about
the time of the restoration of king Charles II. at length
Alban Spencer, gent. who resided here, leaving three
daughters his coheirs, Sarah, married to Mr. Richard
Halford; Susannah, to Mr. R. Buck; and Mary, to
Mr. Robert Gunsley Ayerst, clerk, they jointly suc=
ceeded to this manor.  Mr. Richard Halford died pos=
sessed of his third part in 1766, and left it to his only son
Richard, who sold it to Mr. Robert Finnis, of Dover,
the present possessor of it.  Mr. Robert Buck, on his
death without issue, devised his third part to his niece
Jane Ayerst; and her father, the Rev. Mr. Ayerst, in
right of his wife, is the present owner of the rem

In the 1916 edition of Annals of Dover, John Bavington-Jones has the following entry for one, "Robert Finnis", the Mayor of Dover in 1796:

Robert Finnis was a timber merchant, who had his residence and timber yard at Finnis's Hill. He also had a timber yard where Camden Crescent now is.

could this be my robert finnis, or am i pushing well above my belt and my robert was just a normal everyday man ??

but as it stands i can find no marriage cert for a robert finnis and a mary :(

any help, thanks

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 March 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Robert Finnis of Sutton by Dover married Mary Smith of Guston by Licence on 16 October 1736 at Guston.  The licence was dated October 12th.

Tony

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 March 17 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms (from the family?) as found,

Sutton by Dover
1738 Oct 15 James FINNIS s/o Robert & Mary
1740 Apr 07 Ann FINNIS d/o Robert & Mary
1742/3 Feb 09 Mary FINNIS d/0 Robert & Mary
1744/5 Mar 19 Robert FINNIS s/o Robert & Mary
1747 May 25 Elizabeth FINNIS d/o Robert & Mary

Coldred
1749 Nov 16 Catharine FINNIS d/o Robert & Mary

It looks likely that this family moved from Sutton to Coldred!

Tony

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 March 17 18:26 GMT (UK) »
yet again thank you so much, i ve been putting his name etc every which way i could on ancestry and googling it but nothing, et you find it so quickly

do you think he s the robert finnis born 1714 that was the timber merchant from finnis hill and a mayor of dover ??

thanks again :)

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 March 17 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Ah, the joys of the East Kent Marriage Index!

There was a Robert Finnis baptised in 1714 at Sutton by Dover as follows,

1714 Mar 26 Robert FINNIS s/o James & Mary

It is likely that he was buried in Coldred on 9 May 1807 with his age given as 93.

There is also this burial at Coldred

1784 May 14 Mary FINNIS

I am not sure if this fits with the information you have on the Mayor of Dover.

For information

1712 Jan 13 James Finnis married Mary Marsh at Whitfield.

Tony

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 March 17 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Blimey, thanks again, wanted to ask about the james n mary marriage but did nt like to as you ve done so much already

i think i maybe off the mark with the mayor, finnis hill bit as it says

Finnis’s Hill was off Limekiln Street. On this hill stood the home, workshop and yard of Mr. Finnis, a builder, until about 1830. Before that it was called Upper Walton Lane. The lower lane led from Strond Street to Limekiln Street. Robert Finnis, his son John and his grandson Steriker were all mayors of Dover. The area was demolished in the 1950s as part of a slum clearance programme. The road was closed in 1971.

i dont think my robert had a son called john, i ve looked but cant find a birth, you see i do look and find old information, its just that often it s not for my family lol
 thanks again :)

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 March 17 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Robert Finnis who died in 1807 at Coldred left a Will which was probated in 1808.  The original will be at Maidstone but, filmed copies of the original and probate copy can be viewed at Canterbury Cathedral Archives.

The Marriage Licence Allegation, when he married in 1736, may also still exist and be available for inspection at Canterbury.  This may give his age and occupation.

Tony

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 19:45 GMT (UK) »
hi tony

im answering your message on this post as i could nt find out how to reply to your personal message, it just had your message in box and send message under it, but nowhere to write it

thanks so much for that, i have seen a marriage record for robert finnis and mary smith but it did nt say what he was on it or anything, im a bit disapointed in ancestry, if it was nt for other people post the original copies or records most of the time its just a transcription, with no added info

yes i d be very interested to see the originals, im not rich myself and not that interested in money, but it does make it exciting to find out things like that about family, you really have been so kind to me i really do appreciate it i wish i could do the same for others, it must be a lovely feeling knowing that you ve helped someone

honestly some times im on here for over 6 hours at a go trying to find one thing, i ask on here and its done almost immediately, dont know what i do wrong

i had my one year old grand daught sleep over last night, they are a joy, thanks so much again, could i just ask in your opinion what the best site is for kent records
:)