Author Topic: Woollen Mills in Paignton area?  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woollen Mills in Paignton area?
« on: Friday 17 February 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »
A distant relation of my late husband was born and grew up in the area around Leeds but she and her husband pop up in the Paignton area in 1939, where he was apparently employed as Foreman loom tuner in the worsted trade at this time. Can anyone help with information about woollen mills that might have been located in Paignton district as I'd like to find out where he might have worked? (I have done an internet search this morning, but haven't yet been able to turn up anything useful.) 

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Woollen Mills in Paignton area?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Quoting from "The History of Devon":

Devon has long been celebrated for its woollen and lace manufactures; one or the other of which was formerly to be found in most parts of the county, but both have greatly declined here during the present century, owing to the amazing extension of machinery and the factory system, in the Midland and Northern Counties, which have nearly annihilated these branches of industry in their primitive seats, where the old domestic system was adhered to. There are still several large woollen mills and several thousand looms in different parts of the county, employed in making serges, blankets, and other coarse woollen cloths.

See: http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/DevonHist1850.html
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 February 17 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, KGarrad. As it happens I live in another part of Devon which was very involved in the wool trade and all its processes, but Paignton and surrounds is definitely not somewhere I associate with woollen mills, especially as late as the tail end of the 1930s, which is why I'm curious to find out more. There can't have been that many factories producing woollen goods there just before WWII, surely?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 February 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I reckon the mills (not factories?) would have been further up the rivers?
Chudleigh Mill for example - which had spinning-jenny's.

See: http://www.chudleighhistorygroup.com/parish-mills.html
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 February 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Can you be specific about where they pop up in the Paignton area during 1939 ?

I will pop in the library and check out the directories.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 February 17 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your kind offer, Mowsehowse. 95 Barton Avenue, Paignton [Unitary District], is the address I have for them. The husband is John Albert Wright although in the 1939 register his first names have been swapped around to Albert John. I don't know how helpful that will be. Strictly speaking, wherever he was working would probably have been referred to as a textile factory rather than as a mill by that time; perhaps there was a place producing something like blankets or maybe woollen cloth for men's suits or uniforms in the locality?

Frustratingly, the mills I can find reference to in the area are either corn grinding mills or fulling mills which don't actually make cloth as such, only finish it, and most are no longer operating by the 1900s in any case.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 February 17 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Kev

. . . . . and I can see Chudleigh Mill as I type . . . . .

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 February 17 14:04 GMT (UK) »
I've found mention of Ashburton Mill (Messrs Berry and Sons) which was still producing serge in 1891-2 at their premises in Ashburton and at Buckfastleigh, but there's no indication whether it was still operating into the 1930s. It's quite a distance from Paignton though.

A transcription of the Torquay Trade Directory for 1911-12, on Genuki, lists "Clothiers (Manufacturing) - Richards and Co., Ltd., 61 Union Street." They're separate from the listings for tailors and dressmakers so were they producing cloth, rather than making items of clothing? Hopefully, someone with local connections might know.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 February 17 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I will get a photo of 95 Barton Ave for you next week if you would like?

I have just returned from the library (no problem, I planned to go there this afternoon). 

So I had a look at the 1939 Directory.  I did not look at residential, having no clues, though I did comb through the trades for Paignton specifically, did not find any mention of a wool mill, and I looked in the trades advertisers at the back but I don't think this gives what you want, though Totnes and Buckfastleigh are fairly close to Paignton.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.