Author Topic: 1890 Lancashire Colloquial Term??  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1890 Lancashire Colloquial Term??
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I guess it's possible; my reasoning comes from certain terms used today which meant something completely different only fifty years ago.  As the term 'softy' was used in the 1890s, it could be possible that the meaning of the word changed fifty to sixty years later.  Unless someone states otherwise, I will have to go with the meaning of being weak minded or daft.
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 February 17 00:32 GMT (UK) »
I agree with the 'weak minded' notion, an example below from 1880. They are discussing the breach of a local bye-law.
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 February 17 07:47 GMT (UK) »
The term "soft lad" is still in common use in Liverpool as a slightly derogatory way of addressing a male friend or family member. 

"A soft lad in the "scouse" dialect of Liverpool, England is someone who is "soft in the head" or slow-witted."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Softlad
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 February 17 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Another newspaper's shorter article on the same story (Portsmouth Evening News) says ".. several relations had been simple, and there were three deaf-mutes in the family.."

which does imply that in Lancashire they said 'soft' but elsewhere they said 'simple'

There is also coverage of the trial in the Manchester Times that says a little more about the relatives ".. a younger brother of the male prisoner named Thomas has always been very simple, and [his] father's oldest brother used to sit talking to himself the whole night.."
Manchester Times, Friday, August 8, 1890

There are detailed descriptions of John Pickavance in this article as well, very interesting. He would probably get a diagnosis of some sort if he lived in our time.

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 February 17 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Another newspaper's shorter article on the same story (Portsmouth Evening News) says ".. several relations had been simple, and there were three deaf-mutes in the family.."

which does imply that in Lancashire they said 'soft' but elsewhere they said 'simple'

There is also coverage of the trial in the Manchester Times that says a little more about the relatives ".. a younger brother of the male prisoner named Thomas has always been very simple, and [his] father's oldest brother used to sit talking to himself the whole night.."
Manchester Times, Friday, August 8, 1890

There are detailed descriptions of John Pickavance in this article as well, very interesting. He would probably get a diagnosis of some sort if he lived in our time.

:) Barbara
My Lancashire family used simple for someone who today may be described as having learning difficulties. A person's behaviour would be excused or explained with the phrase "s/he's a bit simple". The word "simple" was generally preceded by "a bit" in our house, perhaps signifying a mild learning difficulty or condition, or perhaps it was kindly meant. ( People with moderate to severe learning difficulties would have been in special schools or institutions at the time of my childhood, so we would have met very few of them.)
Cowban

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 February 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »
My Lancashire family used simple for someone who today may be described as having learning difficulties. A person's behaviour would be excused or explained with the phrase "s/he's a bit simple". The word "simple" was generally preceded by "a bit" in our house, perhaps signifying a mild learning difficulty or condition, or perhaps it was kindly meant. ( People with moderate to severe learning difficulties would have been in special schools or institutions at the time of my childhood, so we would have met very few of them.)

Mine too.  There was one lad who was "simple" and as a teenager he used to push a cart around collecting bits of rubbish - no idea what he did with this (not a rag and bone man).  One day we were all called to assembly in school and told we had to go home in pairs as one of the girls from the school had been raped during the lunch hour when she'd gone home for lunch.  It turned out to be this "simple" teenager.  I've no idea what happened to him, nothing was ever in the newspapers.

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 February 17 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Barbara; I do in fact have that article and this is what my question is in connection with.  I'm also inclined to believe that 'softy' meant that perhaps the individual may have had learning/social difficulties.
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline BashLad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 March 17 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Amusingly it didn't make it into my lancashire dialect reference.
WHITEHOUSE- Bromsgrove, WANE - Eccleston, TOWERS - Blackburn & Ribble Valley, COLLINGE - Rawtenstall, THOMAS - Penzance, Whitehaven, Haslingden.

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 March 17 00:31 GMT (UK) »
When I was growing up in Lancashire in the 60s, someone coming out with a comment or question that was viewed as dozy or they'd got the wrong end of the stick would be told "don't be so soft". So, yes, it could mean mardy or it could mean simple-minded.
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!