Author Topic: William Carr or Kerr  (Read 1767 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Carr or Kerr
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 February 17 12:14 GMT (UK) »
This marriage looks interesting- John Cassidy m.(1853 Belfast) Mary Anne Gelston, daughter of a Robert Kerr-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGXD-VVF

Marriage certificate should give her father's name and occupation
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline margek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 February 17 18:31 GMT (UK) »
First of all thank you to Annie & Sarah for helping me get started on rootschat!

Annie you asked me why I think that Mary Ann Cassidy was William Carr's(Kerr) sister.  I have a letter from Mary Anne's son which was written inn 1895 to the wife of William, Eliza, stating that his mother, lived at 12 Tern St. Ballymacassett and that she was 70 yrs. old.  He also stated in this letter that William has 2 sisters, his mother and Jennie and one brother Hugh.

Offline margek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 February 17 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to aghadowey......that info does look very interesting.  Wonder where the Gelston came from. :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 February 17 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Wonder where the Gelston came from. :)
Gelston is probably the name of her husband before she married Cassidy but the marriage certificate would confirm if she was a widow.

Annie you asked me why I think that Mary Ann Cassidy was William Carr's(Kerr) sister.  I have a letter from Mary Anne's son which was written inn 1895 to the wife of William, Eliza, stating that his mother, lived at 12 Tern St. Ballymacassett and that she was 70 yrs. old.  He also stated in this letter that William has 2 sisters, his mother and Jennie and one brother Hugh.
The reason I asked why you thought Mary Ann Cassidy was William's sister was to make sure you were searching for the correct family.
'Ballymacassett' is Ballymacarret- even though a portion of Belfast is in Co, Down the queries for it belong on Antrim board.

Will be back later (as long as electric doesn't go out) with hoepfully a bit more information.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 February 17 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Haven't found much else yet but here's Mary Ann Cassidy's death in 1919-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1919/05164/4424361.pdf

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 February 17 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: aghadowey

A Jane Cassidy married (1891 Belfast) James Campbell- her father John Cassidy, weaver-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1891/10681/5892754.pdf

There is a January 1898 death notice in the Larne Times for a John C Campbell, aged 2yrs and 7 months, at 12 Tern Street, who was son of late James Campbell.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a January 1898 death notice in the Larne Times for a John C Campbell, aged 2yrs and 7 months, at 12 Tern Street, who was son of late James Campbell.

John Cassidy Campbell death- grandmother Mary Ann Cassidy was informant-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1898/05843/4655141.pdf

Offline margek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 February 17 00:30 GMT (UK) »
aghadowney

Thank you so much for the additional info on Mary Ann Cassidy's death and also the death of her grandson John C. Campbell.  How did you get into the Larne Times to view that obituary?  I tried but couldn't seem to find it. 

Thank you again, I am so excited to find this information.  I love this rootschat!

Offline margek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 February 17 00:33 GMT (UK) »
scotmum

Thank you so much for the info that you posted on the death of John C. Campbell.  I have really made some progress in just the few days that I have posted on Rootschat.

Marge