Author Topic: SAS death More details of incident required  (Read 5128 times)

Offline TAMCK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SAS death More details of incident required
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 February 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

By 1945 most SAS were in the north taking part in campaigns through Germany. The last operation in Italy was Bologna in Mar 45.The SAS were disbanded in Oct 45 so he may have been there as SAS still.

I would read the "not to blame" as meaning he was not the instigator of the incident. I doubt he would have been training an Italian as I doubt they were allowed to be under arms. Most likely he was a rogue soldier who still had weapons and had been in hiding. Then decided to take out a few of the invaders of his country.

John915
Good Afternoon John,

Thanks for your reply. I think your suggestion is very plausible. An Italian soldier who couldn't accept that that war was over perhaps.

I read on internet that SAS were disbanded 8th October. He died 17th from wounds received. Don't know what date he received them but the last entry on his service record before death is recorded is:

'Attahed this T.C   F.A.P  from ( Leave L.I.A.P)   -   Fus - 3/8/45'
I think this means attached this Transit Camp First Aid Post Fusilier after leaving LIAP which might be L detachment SAS or something else entirely

Offline TAMCK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 February 17 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I doubt he would have been training an Italian as I doubt they were allowed to be under arms.

Italy was our ally from October 1943 onwards

That's true, forgot about that.
Back to drawing board.
So makes it hard to accept grenades were still being thrown. And if training then why? War is over?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 February 17 14:38 GMT (UK) »
If he had been attacked by an Italian that would not be classified as an accident, would it?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TAMCK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 February 17 14:44 GMT (UK) »
If he had been attacked by an Italian that would not be classified as an accident, would it?

No you are right, it specifies 'accident'
His wounds were noted as Left thigh, Arm & Abdomen & he died in 64 (BR ) General Hospital

Thanks for helping with this. Family history throws up more questions than answers most of the time

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 February 17 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Could there have been a munition dump that was being cleared? If a grenade  became active perhaps the Italian just threw it away from the munitions but unfortunately near your gt uncle.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline TAMCK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 February 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Could there have been a munition dump that was being cleared? If a grenade  became active perhaps the Italian just threw it away from the munitions but unfortunately near your gt uncle.

I've no idea but thanks for suggestion.
I feel sorry for the Italian if no malice was intended.
I've emailed the ROYAL INNISKILLING FUSILIERS museum to ask if they have access to war diary.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 February 17 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Reason I wonder about the munitions is that my late father in law was 1 of the Royal Engineers that cleared Bari harbour (Italy) of mines.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline TAMCK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 February 17 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Reason I wonder about the munitions is that my late father in law was 1 of the Royal Engineers that cleared Bari harbour (Italy) of mines.

Cecil's record notes he was in Special Boat Service (His photo shows SAS badge on beret & ive read SBS & SAS were absorbed together at one point during war)

My mother seems to think she remembers being told he was killed by a hiding sniper!  Very far from truth probably seeing as Italy was with Allies by then. Could there be a grain of truth in it though is the question.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 February 17 16:52 GMT (UK) »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Special_Operations_Executive_operations

Scroll down to Italy and see the number of "political and military liaisons" in 1945,

The allies were responsible for administering and policing Italy until the elections in 1946, there were a lot of facist and communist partisan groups trying to influence the elections, not always peacefully.

Mike