Author Topic: 7 times Great Grandad  (Read 630 times)

Offline rea1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
7 times Great Grandad
« on: Monday 27 February 17 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I am at the moment researching my late dads side of the family.  I have found some dates on my 7 times great granddad Thomas Hornby, he was Born 1617 in Kirkham, Lancashire,  Died 14th June 1671 in Wyre, Orkney, Scotland. He married Elizabeth Dicconson in 1640,  She was Born in 1620 Died 1657. As far as I know they had 1 son Thomas Hornby Born 1643 Died 1700.
I have not been able to find out anymore information, why or how Thomas senior ended up in Scotland.  Does anyone have any ideas how I'd go about researching his death, i'v not dealt with outside of England before.

Thanks
Liz
Buckley, cheshire
Barry, Leeds
Dalby, Leeds
Hornby, Garstang Lancs
Cahill,  Lancs

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: 7 times Great Grandad
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 February 17 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I am at the moment researching my late dads side of the family.  I have found some dates on my 7 times great granddad Thomas Hornby, he was Born 1617 in Kirkham, Lancashire,  Died 14th June 1671 in Wyre, Orkney, Scotland.

I am suspicious of that - Kirkham is between Blackpool and Preston, and the river Wyre is not far away, which may mean that Orkney is a red herring.  My UK gazetteer doesn't mention such a place in Orkney, but it may exist.

Has your info come from Family Search?  My paternal line stems from Ashburton in Devon, but there are a few references to Ashburton NZ as well ....
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 17 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Died 14th June 1671 in Wyre, Orkney, Scotland.

I think you have taken this info from a partial tree on Family Search which is incorrect.

Here is a bit about Wyre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyre

In present day - Wyre now covers the likes of Fleetwood, Cleveleys etc etc but was more extensive for the time you are researching - but did not extend as far as Scotland ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rea1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 February 17 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies Carole, Andrew.....you could be right.  I got the info off Ancestry off a member who seems to be a very distant relation as I am to Thomas.  I did wonder re Wyre, Orkney etc and thought it seemed odd,  so you could be right Carole.

Liz
Buckley, cheshire
Barry, Leeds
Dalby, Leeds
Hornby, Garstang Lancs
Cahill,  Lancs

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 18:19 GMT (UK) »
I am suspicious of that - Kirkham is between Blackpool and Preston, and the river Wyre is not far away, which may mean that Orkney is a red herring.  My UK gazetteer doesn't mention such a place in Orkney, but it may exist.

Having checked my map of Orkney I find that Wyre is a small island off Rousay, which is a large island off Mainland (not the mainland!).  From the size of it I think it extremely unlikely that your ancestor died there.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Rea,

I would agree that the info. so far is wrong.

Orkney being one of many of the most remote places in Scotland & I haven't researched anything regarding your line.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 March 17 07:35 GMT (UK) »
I think this has come about because Ancestry actually fill in missing parts of place names without even asking.

If you upload a GEDCOM which quotes only "Fylde" as an address, it will look up the word in its gazetteer and fill in all the rest. I've seen "Manchester" become "Manchester, Jamaica", and I'm certain that a lone "Birmingham" will end up in Alabama, USA.

Note that this is done WITHOUT COMMENT to the user. When a tree has more than a couple of dozen places mentioned, who can take the time to check them all?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 March 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »
This DOES sound as though it is probably spurious ... a case of somebody finding a name, and looking for it in a gazetteer, and settling on the first one they came upon without any real pause for thought.

BUT.

Is it possible he was a seafarer? Is it possible he sailed to Canada ... and back?

The Hudson's Bay Company was formed in 1670, a year before he died; and its ships used Stromness as (on Mainland, Orkney) as their "jumping off point" before crossing the Atlantic, and as their first port of call upon their return.

So ... there is just a possibility here ... that if he was serving on a ship that became part of the Hudson's Bay Company fleet, and died or disease on the return journey, just as they approached land, that the ship may have been quarantined and those who died of the pestilence, whatever it was, were put ashore and buried on a small island before the ship was allowed to proceed in to Stromness.

I'm not saying that this IS what happened. Bu the came from a seafaring community, so it is certainly a possibility, if the Orkney burial is indeed the correct one.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright