Author Topic: Wallace family  (Read 3567 times)

Offline sheilalewry44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wallace family
« on: Wednesday 27 July 05 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, my g/grandfather was John Wallace born 1845 in Oathlaw (not sure of exact date). His father was also John Wallace (not sure of his date of birth or where he was born), and his mother was Margaret Fyfe. They married in Kirriemuir 20 May 1843. Can anyone help with any further info? I think Margaret may have been born in Kirkden in 1822, but I have nothing on John Wallace. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks ... Sheila

Offline snowwhite77

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Wallace family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 July 05 12:33 BST (UK) »
Here is a list of other children for John WALLACE and Margaret FYFE

Julia, born 24 FEB 1855   Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland
David born 10 JUN 1853   Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland
Annie born 28 MAR 1849   Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland
Robert born  07 JAN 1857   Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland
 Janet born  28 FEB 1850   Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland

All the above are extracedform the parish records so pretty reliable.

To find anything about the parents you would be best to check the Parish records for their marriage. It may give you their parents names or even their ages at time of marriage so you will have a year of birth.
There are to many of noth their names to narrow down any other way. Because the marriage took place before 1845 you can't view a marriage cert.

Amanda
PATERSON- Fife,
CHALMERS- Stirlignshire
DRYSDALE - Kinross, Clackmannan
GORMAN, MOORE -Birkenhead
BELL DIAMOND Dunbartonshire
PRENTICE, HAMILTON CUNNINGHAM - Lanarkshire
FYFE - Perthshire
FAGAN - Lanarkshire
CROSBIE, SCOTT, STEVENSON, MORRISON, CHRISTIAN,- Wigtown

Offline sheilalewry44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 July 05 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Amanda, Interesting to see there is no date for John born about 1845.   Also out of all those names, John(1845) had children called, David, Mary Ann, Robert,and Jessie (Jessie and Janet seem to be interchangeable). I appreciate the look up - thanks .... Sheila

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 August 05 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Found the following information submitted on IGI :

John Wallace - born 1810 @ Tannadice, Angus

Margaret Fyfe - born 1821 @ Kirriemuir, Angus

Their children :

00/00/1834 - Agnes

00/00/1836 - Mary

00/00/1839 - Jean

00/00/1845 - John

23/03/1849 - Annie

28/02/1850 - Jannet

10/06/1853 - David

Ysabeau

Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sheilalewry44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 August 05 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thankyou for that info. If it is right, then Margaret was only 13 when her first  daughter was born! Regards .. Sheila

Offline isobelc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila,

I had a look at the 1855 birth certificate of Julia Wallace. This is very faint but I think I've managed to pick out all the relevent details. Main things it tells us are that her father John was 45 and born in Tannadice and mother Margaret was 35 and born in Kirriemuir. They had married in Kirriemuir (no date given). The certificate further states that there were 2 boys and 7 girls living and 2 boys deceased in the family, and that Julia was only Margaret's sixth child, so the others had to be  John's children by someone else.

I found John on the 1841 census living at Knowhead, Menmuir with Susan (9), Agnes (7) Mary (5) and Jean (3). A search of the igi revealed the birth of Susan in 1831 in Kirriemuir and Agnes in 1834. Parents were John Wallace and Ann Stott.

I also found John Wallace's death certificate. He died in Kirriemuir in 1895 aged 84. He is described as the widower of both Ann Stott and Margaret Fyfe. His parents were Robert Wallace, Grain Miller (dec'd) and Susan Crammond. The igi shows a birth of a son John to this couple in Tannadice in 1808. John married Ann Stott in 1831 in Kinnettles. She appears to be dead by the 1841 census and John then married Margaret Fife in 1843

The information from the 1855 birth certificate about Margaret would point to her being the daughter of William Fyfe and Julia Stormonth, born in January 1821 in Kirriemuir ( note the name Julia passes down through the family). Margaret was living at Herdhill, Kirriemuir in 1841. Also in the household were Julia Stormonth (her mother)(48) Ann Fife (25) Jean Fife (20) Barbara Fife (10) and William Fife (2)

As far as I can see the Wallace family comprised the following:-

Children of John Wallace and Ann Stott -
Susan 1831
Agnes 1834
Mary c1836
Jean c 1838
+1 other male child deceased by 1855

Children of John Wallace and Margaret Fyfe-
John 1845
Annie 1849
Janet 1850
David 1853
Julia 1855
Robert 1857
+1 other male child deceased by 1855

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Isobel Colliar (Edinburgh)

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 15:52 BST (UK) »
Shelia

Margaret FYFE's 1867 death register entry shows her as 47, daughter of William FYFE and Julia FYFE MS STORM[O/E]NT, i.e. no "H", and debatable if it's an "O" or an "E".

She died of typhus !

A Google on "typhus and Kirriemuir" produces 48 hits which include many references to typhus as a cause of death in the 1800

John turns up in 1881 in Kirriemuir ....

Dwelling:   Migvie Cottage
   Census Place:   Kirriemuir, Forfar, Scotland
   Source:   FHL Film 0203494     GRO Ref    Volume 299    EnumDist 10    Page 1
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
John WALLACE   W   69    M   Tannadice, Forfar, Scotland
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Linen Weaver
Julia WALLACE   U   24    F   Kirriemuir, Forfar, Scotland
   Rel:   Daur
   Occ:   General Servant
John GEDDES       16    M   Kirriemuir, Forfar, Scotland
   Rel:   Grdson
   Occ:   Scholar

ibi

Offline sheilalewry44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 18:43 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much to you both!
I knew there was something wrong with the info which I had, and you have both helped me with one of my stumbling blocks. Now that I know that he was married before, things start to make a bit of sense. You have given me so much info there that I just did not know anything about.
Where do you get the birth certificate information and death register info from? Is there a site out there that I'm missing out on?!!
I seem to be having more trouble finding my Scottish ancestors than my English ones.
I am so excited about the success I have had with this couple, that I am now going to post another message about another couple who have been hiding from me! Maybe someone will find them!
Thanks again ...Sheila

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 20:44 BST (UK) »
Where do you get the birth certificate information and death register info from? Is there a site out there that I'm missing out on?!! .....snipped.........

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk !!

ibi